HybridZ
Nate SERE

Just beat by an SUV. Help me spend $5k

I just raced my GF's 2014 Acura RDX and it was a draw. 

I have a 78 280z.  It has a rebuilt L28 with dual round top su carbs. f54 block so flat top pistons w/ p79 head and cam was reground to a stage 3 equivalent less than 4,000 miles. new oil pump and water pump new alternator lightened flywheel .New clutch, it also has Msa header going to true msa twice pipes.

I feels a lot faster than it is and its a blast to drive. 

I don't have access to a garage and am not really interested in an engine swap at this time.   I'd like to be able to upgrade the block that I have and bolt on some serious power if I can.  My budget is around $5k to do this.   I also have an e88 head as well as a n46 head.  The p79 in on right now.   I have 2 complete FI setups as well with the intake.   The original wiring is still in the car so I can switch to FI if needed.

I am thinking about going with a turbo setup but dont really know anything about setting it all up.   Would this be the best option to try and get around 300 hp out of this motor with an additional $5k budget?  

post-28176-0-80351700-1404096057_thumb.jpg

My first thought before getting half way through your post was "turbo".

You can do the swap in the driveway (That's where I did mine, because the garage was occupied at the time lol), though the exhaust might need to be outsourced, if you don't have access to a welder. The rest can be done with hand tools, depending on how you do the intercooler piping.

Is it worth getting caught up in that "who is faster than who?" game?  I just looked at what a 2014 RDX does. and it manages a 14.8 @ 96mph with a 0-60mph in 6.2 - that's very respectable.  How fast do you want your car to be, and will it be more enjoyable to you if you manage such?  

I get it, I really do - I have a 3L stroker - but at the end of the day, there will always be someone faster.  Make your car as fast as it needs to be to make you happy when you drive it, anything beyond that (outside of competing at the track) is a waste.  

If you must pursue speed though, there isn't a more inexpensive route than what Six Shooter suggested, turbo it up!  Me though, I LOVE the sound of carbs.

My stock 2/2 would turn 15.50's and it made guys swear at me.

The turbo car? I converted people with that car. Guys would repeat over and over as we went though an AutoX "This car is turbocharged? THIS car is TURBOCHARGED? I can't believe this car is Turbo. Really, seriously? Turbocharged?"

Hows the rest of the car underneath?  Suspension?  Brakes?  Rear differential?     If I had 5k burning a hole in my pocket i'd turbo it cheap with MS and spend the rest on suspension and brakes. Knowing what I know now i'd probably spend it on suspension and brakes and seating what I had left, try to make the motor more stout.

I get it just like RyanT67 says, I've got a turbo set up, ran it at the strip after a year of sorting it all out and ran 13.90.  I wanted more, ran the car probably ten passes trying things, changing up tunes/ parts for about 4 months.  I finally came to accept this car is not a drag car and am pleased that i can run this 40 year old hunk around as fast as it is using a 30+ year old block.  There is always something faster.  Try getting pulled on by a first gen integra with a  boosted B18.  LOL  He can't get you from a dead stop but don't race that kid from a rolling 70 in your Z, you will want to spend some money.  It still will never look or handle as good no matter how hard he tries.  I wanted for fun to race him down a twisty road.  His friends all bashed me for getting roasted by a 4 banger.  Well I posted a 12 second faster run down the road we layed out than he did that was 2 miles long.

No one can tell you how to spend your money but make sure you do what makes you happy.  Us telling you how to make you happy isn't going to work, it has to come from your choices.