HybridZ

Where to buy? Quality Carbon Fiber Hood, cowl, inspection lids, headlight buckets

Recently purchased an early 74' 260z 2+2 that is in immaculate shape from a rust standpoint other than the headlight buckets and hood. Rather than going back with steel replacements I think I may explore the weight savings of CF. Can anyone recommend the best options for these items....it seems like the CF parts quality is all over the map. I have heard that even the MSA stuff is too thin....anyhoo I'd love some recommendations guys. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Wylder1324

I believe they only make hoods and hatches. There isn't much weight to be saved with CF headlight buckets. The steel ones are actually lighter than the fiberglass ones that came on the early cars. Maybe the CF buckets are lighter, but it wouldn't be much, and certainly not worth the price.

That cowl is most likely made by this guy: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/99960-retro-spec-unique-carbon-fiber-products-z/

I've never bought from him, so I can only tell you what I've read, but the quality of his product, and customer service seems hit or miss. Sometimes it's excellent, sometimes, not so much. And if you read the last page, there's also a rumor that he was murdered in Mexico...

I'm curious what you mean when you say you want the "cowl and panels" to match the hood. Which panels besides the hood are you referring to? Are you going to leave the CF pieces unpainted? An unpainted CF hood can look good, but when you start getting headlight buckets, cowl, etc., and leaving them unpainted it has the effect of making your car look like it's not quite finished IMO. It's your car, so do what you want, but I don't think that's a good look. And just a heads up, you won't save much weight with a CF cowl panel, or CF fenders. Fenders each weigh in around 12lbs +/- a pound, if I'm remembering right, and the cowl is a pretty lightweight piece too. The hood is worth doing, the hatch is a maybe (about 15lbs savings, IIRC, with factory glass), the rest IMO are a waste of money. If you want the CF look, a vinyl wrap would probably be more cost effective.

Edit: I should've looked before posting, but the ones on eBay are made by Carbon Creations, not Retro-Spec. I've never heard of them and know nothing about them.

Edited by rturbo 930

My vision is hood, cowl, inspection lids, wide ZG flares, door handle covers, and spoiler in unpainted carbon. Possibly airdam and rear hatch.

Everything you mention comes up for sale from time to time (albeit rarely), with exception of the 2+2 hatch. Finding a CF hatch for a 2+2 is going to be nigh on impossible...

Good luck with your search!