HybridZ

SBC pilot bearing

I was wondering what pilot bearing I need to use for my 350/T5 combo. I'm way overdue for updates on my build or re-build thread. When I removed the motor and trans. I found there was no pilot bearing installed. I'm not and expert but I believe it should have one. I think not havig one can screw up your input shaft bearings. Any help would be great.

What year T5?

The T5 was made for a V6 and a V8. They are different.

Is the T5 a World Class T5 or the older version?

What flywheel do you have?

Measure the T5  input shaft OD. Use a digital caliper from Harbor Freight

Measure the diameter of the hole in the flywheel  where the bushing goes.  Use the digital caliper.

You now have the data to go to the Napa Parts look up.

Note:  If you buy a new clutch kit they often come with the pilot bushing.

What year T5?

The T5 was made for a V6 and a V8. They are different.

Is the T5 a World Class T5 or the older version?

What flywheel do you have?

Measure the T5  input shaft OD. Use a digital caliper from Harbor Freight

Measure the diameter of the hole in the flywheel  where the bushing goes.  Use the digital caliper.

You now have the data to go to the Napa Parts look up.

Note:  If you buy a new clutch kit they often come with the pilot bushing.

With a tag ID of 13-52-062 I pulled up that its a 1984 GM Camaro/Firebird 5.0 V8 Model.

I highly doubt its a WC. Numbers don't say it is. But it looks to be rebuilt at one time. Ive heard you can Install a WC kit into the non WC?? Even if so I again doubt i'm lucky enough to have it.

I measured everything just in case but your right most kits come with one.

Now when looking for a clutch kit do I buy for a 84 camaro? 

Thanks Miles for the help.

The 1988 and newer Camaro 5 speeds are called World Class T5 transmissions. So you are correct, your T5 is not a World Class T5.

Note: the T5 for six cylinder cars has a 14 spline input shaft and the T5 for V8 cars has a 26 spline input shaft.  The front of the transmission case also has differences for the World Class T5 and the older T5s that  you can see by doing a Google search.

You could use your T5 as a core and buy a rebuilt 1989 Class T5 which is what I did. I also use a cut down stock Camaro shifter, a Tilton 7/8" master cylinder and a stock Camaro slave cylinder from Napa. You may want to have the flywheel resurfaced and balanced.

The clutch kit I used was for an 89 Camaro (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-hp1675-1a/applications/). It  contained the pressure plate, disk, pilot bearing and throwout bearing. So you should be able to find a kit for your application. Suggest that you research Summit for a clutch kit as Summit provides a lot of details about fitment and application. The kits cover several years. 

You should buy a Haynes Camero manual as it will explain how to work on the Camaro transmisson and clutch. It will show how to install the clutch plate and throwout bearing correctly.

Edited by Miles