HybridZ

Vacationing in New Zealand

Leon

I know we have a few Kiwis on board (pun intended :)), so I was curious if those that either live there or have vacationed there have any advice for a first anniversary trip?

We've been thinking about where we'd like to go and the majority of people have recommended NZ. We're outdoorsy, and enjoy hiking and adventures, less so riding around on tour buses, staying in fancy hotels, and the like. The wife is a certified SCUBA diver and I loved snorkeling and diving in Hawaii during our honeymoon. I was pretty ocean-averse before that trip but I loved swimming in the tropics. I'm also a LOTR fan, so checking out some of the sets would be cool!

I've done a bit of research and the plan is to do 1 week on North Island and 1 week on the South Island. Most suggest renting a vehicle of some sort and just touring around, camping, etc. I wouldn't mind doing some cool car stuff for at least a day (or as much as she can handle), and haven't had any recommendations for that.

The biggest question would be what time of year to go? It doesn't have to fall exactly on the anniversary (8/31) or anything and I think we'd prefer something around summertime (winter here). Please feel free to brain-dump recommendations! :D

Thanks in advance!

Outdoorsy, HOW outdoorsy? :D do you want a day trip along a nice graded and gravelled path or a 3 day scrabble through swamps?

There are several farm walks where you take the scenic route with a day pack around the bays and coves while the farmers wife runs your packs and a hamper of food to the overnight cottage, and the next morning after you leave for the second days scenic stroll will collect the packs and remains and take them back to your car at the farm house.

A good middle between a multi-day hike and a pampered days stroll. Banks Peninsula is good for that, plus you'd have a nice drive over the port hills to the farm.

Cars, google Horopito Motors... a pick a part cum car horde solely for the 60's and earlier!

SCUBA, I loved the BoI trips, Poor Knights Islands are a must see, and the HMNZS Waikato or the SS Rainbow Warrier are worth a day.

One suggestion for the first 3 days of the north island if you are flying into Auckland would be from the airport, drive to Tutukaka for the night, day one take the boat to the Poor Knights or the Waikato/Tui, day two drive up and see Northland and Cape Reinga, tour around and spend the night in kerikeri, day 3 out to see the HMNZS Canturbury or the Rainbow warrior if you went to the Poor Knights or Cathedral Cove if you went to the Canterbury/Tui and head back down to Auckland after landing.

In Auckland is the War Memorial Museum, you can get an idea of how NZ as a country was shaped by joining the motherland in the wars and how the Gallipoli campaign and the experiences with the Japanese overrunning Asia while England was busy in Europe caused our independence.

South of Auckland, Don't miss Hells Gate in Rotorua or the Waitomo Caves. Driving down SH1 you will pass the closest thing NZ has to a desert, and anyone who has seen the Sahara or the Nevada will laugh!

South Island, with the ferry done, I would head to nelson via the SH6 Marlborough route, don't take SH63 and head direct fr Westport, it' Boring with capital B. Nelson is a hippy, arty sort of region full of wineries and orchards. Plenty to see and do but ic changes seasonally and yearly as places run by the seasons and artsy types move and open and close small galleries and shops.  Followed by west coast and down through Haast pass, over to Wanaka/queenstown. Great roads around there, check out a small sports car from a local exotic rentals fleet and daytrip around the hill roads! then head up to Christchurch via SH8 and Timaru. Nice architecture in Timaru if that's your thing.

You can fly out of Chch.

The only reason to take SH1 from Picton to Chch is to go whale watching out of Kaikoura, and personally I'd rather do the west coast.

Holy cow, thanks Kiwi! Outdoorsy would probably be an in-between of "day trip along a nice graded and gravelled path or a 3 day scrabble through swamps". :D Banks Peninsula sounds like a nice one. I appreciate the feedback, we will definitely use it to plan the trip!

If you want suggestions about stuff that comes up on google or online guide books, I'll be happy to lend a locals perspective :D I've been over most of NZ myself, it's small enough to do that, unlike the US which is so big you can't really see all of it.

I spent two weeks around Queenstown tramping the Milford and Routeburn tracks.  I recommend jetboating in Queenstown and a trip to Milford Sound if you can manage it, New Zealand is a beautiful largely unspoiled place, you're in for a treat.

Edited by gogriz91

I spent two weeks around Queenstown tramping the Milford and Routeburn tracks.  I recommend jetboating in Queenstown and a trip to Te Anau if you can manage it, New Zealand is a beautiful largely unspoiled place, you're in for a treat.

I was JUST about to ask about Milford! It was highly recommended by a friend of mine. We're going to look into doing the Milford Track, unless there's a reason not to?

Just so long as you book early! the tracks are deliberately limited in the numbers of people permitted to stay at the huts and camping is discouraged to keep the place unspoilt. that means the tracks get booked up quickly as they are well known.

If the track is booked out on the days you want, drive in and take the sounds cruise instead. If you have drysuits, they SCUBA the sound too, see black coral :D

We're also considering spending the entire 2 weeks on North Island, instead of spending all the extra travel time to get to South Island for the second half of our trip and back to Auckland for the return flight to San Francisco. I'd love to explore it all but 2 weeks may not be enough and I don't want our trip to be too frantic...

Edited by Leon

for 2 weeks, sticking to one island is probably best. And if you're going Auck to Auck rather than Auck to Chch you have more choice in rentals without relocation fees. I believe there is a place in Aucks that rents 350Z's :) I know there is one with BMW 3 series convertibles, so you don't have to use a boring econobox :)

Hertz and AVIS have XR6 falcons I believe, 4 litre turbo sedans, with handling which while not a great as M5 beemers, is a big improvement on a Crown Victoria or similar sized US car, so you can have fun AND carry a tent or camping gear in the boot.

for 2 weeks, sticking to one island is probably best. And if you're going Auck to Auck rather than Auck to Chch you have more choice in rentals without relocation fees. I believe there is a place in Aucks that rents 350Z's :) I know there is one with BMW 3 series convertibles, so you don't have to use a boring econobox :)

Hertz and AVIS have XR6 falcons I believe, 4 litre turbo sedans, with handling which while not a great as M5 beemers, is a big improvement on a Crown Victoria or similar sized US car, so you can have fun AND carry a tent or camping gear in the boot.

Ha, I was just looking at car rental options and was glad just for the simple fact that I can rent a car with a manual gearbox! Good luck with that in the US... XR6 sounds amazing, it would be fun to drive something we don't get in the States. :)

By all means visit UnZud, just keep away from the sheep or risk upsetting the locals ;)

No guarantees, I'm looking for the full experience here. :P

XR6 Ute is a nice ride if you get one with a tray.

I was stuck with a corporate "compact" and that meant Camry...wouldn't you know it, that was $286 daily.

But the Ute, or a Mercedes C200 was $70 daily! They hammer the business rentals, by choosing "executive" rental level it was actually hugely cheaper. I had the XR for a month, and a C200 the second visit.

I ducked the Corporate Camry both times which was more expensive!

As to this: "I've been over most of NZ myself, it's small enough to do that, unlike the US which is so big you can't really see all of it."

I could see taking a LOT of time there. It's not merely ticket punching "been there done that" kind of touring you want to do. An open vehicle or motorcycle is a completely different experience compared to an auto tour. Don't rush it... Do more than "see" it.

You would be amazed at foreigners who come to the USA from Europe and Asia who plot an itinerary of three weeks and have Disney, The Statue of Liberty, Grand Canyon, The Alamo, Park City as destinations IN THAT ORDER and who really expect they can DRIVE to them in a Motorhome. A corporate group from Germany had a schedule with these items as almost daily stops. They returned a month later, having seen a fraction of what they intended, and merely stated "our error was not looking at the actual distances when making the plans."

Not to be outdone by a Korean Corporate Group who needed to "Learn about America" before introducing products here. They had a corporate dictate to see a similar list. Gave them a Motorhome....three MONTHS later they came back haggard, and at each other's throats. "What did you think of America Mr. Kim?" With a grave, thousand yard stare he simply said "America very BIG country!"

From that (and despite my 18,000 miles in three week driving marathons) I try to pick one region. And see/learn as much about it as I can. I've spent two months in Lake MacQuarrie / Eraring Australia outside Sydney with plenty of explore time...and I've barely scratched colonial establishments.

That's a very rich anthropological region of the world, cultural revalations and natural beauty could take you a lifetime to appreciate.

Pick a place. Go back again, pick another place. That's what I would do.

What Tony said.

You'll be looking at that 4.0 liter Barra motor in the XR6, trying to figure out whether it will fit in a Z and wishing you could get one here in the states - here's the (non turbo) one that was in my Falcon rental in Australia last fall...

20131112_174901.jpg

Edited by TimZ

Thanks guys! Seeing if I can get 2 weeks off from work (just took a week last week). We're looking at going around Thanksgiving time (last week of November, first week of December). I'm liking the idea of focusing on one region and exploring it. Mmm, XR6...