HybridZ

Vacationing in New Zealand

Leon

It's official, booked the tickets! We'll be going from 11/21-12/6. Now the real planning begins! :)

I'll be sure to review this thread as we make plans, feel free to throw out any more suggestions if you have any. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

leon,

I haven't been here for a while or i would have answered earlier. If you get over toward Hawkes Bay look us up. 

www.hawkesridge.co.nz.

The contact on our web site come straight to me. Interesting part of New Zealand that quite different to the rest of the North Island.....And we have the best wine!

Cheers,

Douglas

Thanks Douglas, we'll be in Rotorua for the tail-end of the trip and will definitely look you up if we get into Hawkes Bay! Our plans are pretty loose, the only thing I've actually booked is places to stay, a car, and a massage. Everything else will be decided once we get there! :)

A Massage? Happy Ending? ;)

I guess you're in the air now given you commented 2 days ago that you were leaving yesterday.

What did you rent? Ford turbo Ute? :)

Got in this morning at 5:20 actually! :) Had brekkie on Ponsonby (near where our first stay is) and got to our place by 9:45. And then I slept for 3-4 hours. Got to explore Ponsonby and walked downtown to do play tourist on the Sky Tower. Had fun and some great food. Saw an R32 GTR! The massage will be later, happy ending would be great but it may turn into sad ending when the wife finds out... :P

In the end, I went conservative with the rental. The fancy stuff was too expensive so I took the ol' cheapest-I-can-get route! Ended up with a surprisingly peppy Hyundai Getz with a 5-speed and 16V twin-cam motor. It's a fun little car but at this point I'm more worried about reprogramming my brain for the mirrored roads and controls! I hit the wipers multiple times instead of the indicators before I got used to that one. So far, only one slam of the hand into the door panel reaching for the imaginary shifter to my right. :D Even as a pedestrian, I looked like a moron as I walked into the path of another car because I hadn't reconfigured my head to look a different direction. Lots of fun still ahead!

post-3287-0-11966200-1416729472_thumb.jpg

Ponsonby? Lots of cafes there to fuel up on java at :D A fair few Remuera tractors around there too.

The wife definitely had some espresso upon arrival! I had to look up Remuera tractor. :lol:

If your in Wellington try http://littlebeerquarter.co.nz/# If you are a beer guy. Pretty good food too.

Sadly, we won't be making it that far south. Next time!

Driving on the "wrong side" is always a bit of fun! We did the opposite and rented a 30ft camper and drove it from San Diego to Atlanta a couple of years ago. That was a challenge. In New Zealand you would need a Heavy Transport licence to drive something that size. I think you will appreciate the smaller car. Our roads are rarely in straight lines!

Cheers,

Douglas

Driving on the "wrong side" is always a bit of fun! We did the opposite and rented a 30ft camper and drove it from San Diego to Atlanta a couple of years ago. That was a challenge. In New Zealand you would need a Heavy Transport licence to drive something that size. I think you will appreciate the smaller car. Our roads are rarely in straight lines!

Cheers,

Douglas

Nice, that's a heck of a trip Douglas! In the US, it's deadly simple to get a driver's license let alone take charge of a huge missile barreling down the interstate. On a related note, I've found the drivers of New Zealand to be a lot more respectful and calm, compared to California at least. It's a very pleasant place, everyone is very polite. :) I'm getting more used to the driving part, I'm afraid I may do a few goofy things when I get back to the States.

We just got back from a diving trip at Poor Knights, what a cool place! Tired now, time sit on the couch and stuff my face with delicious chocolate...

I always had my chocolate on the boat while diving! Stay fueled up and you aren't as hammered when you get back to land again! 30 meters down sucks energy out of you!

You going as far north as the place of the jumping off of souls? Aka cape reinga ?

I always had my chocolate on the boat while diving! Stay fueled up and you aren't as hammered when you get back to land again! 30 meters down sucks energy out of you!

You going as far north as the place of the jumping off of souls? Aka cape reinga ?

You've got better forethought than I!

I'm not sure if we're going much further north, relaxing in Tutukaka right now. We thought about taking a trip to the Bay of Islands tomorrow but we're feeling pretty wiped out, especially since it's almost a 4 hour round-trip the day before we take a 5-hour drive to Rotorua. We're planning some activities in the Rotorua area so we may need to conserve energy. I would've loved to kayak with some dolphins or something cool like that though... :)