HybridZ

Preparing for a sbc 350 swap

Hello everyone. Well I have a 1977 280z. As far as I can tell its bone stock. I also have a 93 k1500 GMC Suburban with a blown transmission. I have been reading on stuff that I need and trying to create a budget that won't give my wife a hart attack. So I know I will need the mount kit, RWD transmission, driveshaft, radiator hose's. So here's where I need a little bit of information if anyone can post a link I will be vary grateful. First I need to get a transmission from a junk yard does any comero, firebird transmission bolt up to the k1500 trans without anything extra? For example I don't want to pay for a bell housing if I don't have to. Also I plan on using the factory wiring harnesses out of the suburban to get it running. It is a Throttle body injection set up. My car is old enough to not have to worry about emissions. So if I can get a detailed wiring diagram on how to wire this swap or a link. I would appreciate it. I believe I can handle the rest.

Welcome and good luck with your swap. 

All answers can be found reading this site, and in this book:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

The JTR manual can be found on ebay for $30-$40.....cheaper than couples therapy......

links to TBI information might help with the swap

http://chevythunder.com/gm_throttle_body_injection_pg_1.htm

http://www.automedia.com/TBI_Fuel_Injection_Conversion/pht20001001fi/1

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/tbi-efi-conversion.html

Edited by Trevor

Welcome to the group! I assume it's a 350 vortec Chevy engine in your Burban? If you want to use a automatic trans it depends if you want to go cruising or build it for speed. I'm in the process of "possibly" doing another conversion on a 83 280zx myself. The guys and gals on here have a lot of respect and help out a lot. I'm a newbie to the Datsun Nissan scene but have been around Chevrolet stuff most my life. An automatic transmission for cruising I would say a 700r4 or 4l60e would be best because of the overdrive gearing. If your like me and want to go sideways or go fast once you mash the pedal....a th350 or th400 automatic trans will work fine. If you can find a 700r4 that is the old style kick down cable overdrive type you will not need much in the way of wiring. Same with th350 or th400. The 4l60e is a wiring freak but you can run it with your stock suburban harness too if it's an automatic. The sites that was recommended above is a great place to start. You can reference the parts from there or if you have a scrapyard near you the parts will be easy to find. Good luck and please keep us posted. Aloha from Hawaii! BOLO

Thank you vary much for the information. I all ready ordered the book same day as I posted this. Hopefully I will have it here in the next few days. As far as transmission choice me and GM automatic transmissions dont seem to get along vary well. This is the second one I've blown up. So I will be looking for a Manual transmission instead. Unless I hit the lotto then I'll go nuts on the car and get a sequencial trans. But I'm a LONG way from that happening. I do appriciate the info. I'll post pictures from beginning to end of the build/swap most likely on this thred. If any one has any other advice that will make my life easier I would appricate it.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as cheap and easy goes, can't beat a th350. I've done 2 that way.

Are you putting the engine in as is, or send it to the machine shop?

If keeping it stock I'd still budget at least a couple grand. The conversion has several big hits to the bank, then will $50 here and there you to death.

A couple tips to save some money.... 1. radiator for an 89 Chevy G20 van is less than $100 brand new and fits well and cools perfectly. 2. Electric fan for a 91 Ford Taurus fits well and moves a lot of air and aftermarket is less than $100.

I can post pics of the fan and radiator if you like.

Thanks for all the info. As far as how the engine is going in it will be coming straight out of the burban to the z. I may think about fixing the oil leaks but I'm trying to do the swap for less than 1k in the end. Now that I have read the swap manual I think its possible. It may not be pretty but I'm going to try to fab the mounts myself. And the swap. I plan on letting a shop do the wiring. Unfortunately for now the swap has been put on hold do to newborn and lack of time... The heat doesn't help any either. So as soon as I get some time I'll come back and post my pics.