HybridZ

1977 280Z SWAP AC

Hello everyone, my name is Will and i have a 77 280z. the l28 that was in it gave out so was wondering if there were any engine swaps out there that lets me keep ac. I am not building a high HP race monster, just an everyday cruiser. I have been researching different swaps but all have ether lost it or have taken them out. I don’t want to get a L28, or the L28et, but I do love a turbo engine.  Any help is appreciated. I did use the search button, but AC, A/C, air-conditioning, etc. all come up nothing. Thanks for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Will, I have a 77 280z with RB25DET Neo and I am running ac. I had no clearence issues with the RB AC compressor (looks to be the same as a 2000 sentra other than sentra has larger pulley).

I did have a failure with my RB compressor so I switched to the 2000 Altima comprssor as it is more durable, I had to change the fittings on my lines at the compressor as the ports were located differently. The Altima is also physically larger. It still fit but was a tighter fit than the RB/Sentra compressor.

post-24434-0-54612400-1406708041_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 1970 240z

Running LS1 with AC in my 1977 280Z. Putt a new AC compressor in and a few new hoses but kept all the other stock Datsun components. Running "Freeze 12" refrigerant and the car stays cool in 100 degree weather - if it hasn't been sitting in the sun soaking heat all day.

Yes, Freeze 12 is an R12 equivalent but more environmentally friendly.  It also allows retaining all the stock Z AC components.  Just ensure the new compressor is designed to use that refrigerant.  Mines been running for 10 years now with no problems.

I use Freeze 12 in my GM Dually (like 7# system! LOL) and in all the old R12 Z's I have.

I have been very happy with it's performance. It's easily available on eBay. I will never be snowed into converting another car to R134 ever again!

I don't put much stock in 'environmentally friendly' marketing, I don't think there was anything wrong with R12. Most of the world now seems to agree as they are letting it be sold same as it ever was.

Really, the  compressors are so oversized on older cars it's not funny. The only 'designing' they did was the oil for compatibility with the refrigerant. If you have a virgin compressor, it's generally universally compatible. The LUBRICANTS used  in the two systems affect the seals differently. Get a new compressor and it will have the seals made for the newer refrigerants which will not be affected by the old mineral based or PAO/DIESTER lubricants used in R12 systems.

One of my buddies has Butane in his 260Z AC system. He says it works awesome, is super cheap.  Yeah it's flammable, but the amount isn't enough to do much unless you released it all at once.   I don't know anything about the lubrication, other than he said his system is all stock, so I assume he didn't change his lube from the original R12 compatible stuff.   If Freeze 12 works, then I'll probably just use that rather than rip apart everything to try to clean it out.