HybridZ

240SX or stock 280Z TB for use with megasquirt?

dpuma8

On my previous car I bought from someone, I had the 240sx TB, Z31 turbo ECU, 4 puck clutch and Fidanza lightened flywheel. The car was extremely hard to start from a stop. There didnt seem to be any feathering of the clutch to get smooth and easy starts.

Now, I have Megasquirt waiting to go into the car and I need to update the TPS but I need an adapter to get the 240sx TPS on the stock 280Z throttle body. I tried making an adapter but it isnt going so well. So now I am considering just changing my stock throttle body with my extra 240sx one. Can I adjust the pedal sensitivity through megasquirt? Those with the bigger throttle body and MS, is it smooth when starting from a stop?

My new car has a slightly upgraded clutch and will have the fidanza lightened wheel.

With Megasquirt you just input the tps closed and wide open Ohm readings, into the laptop or whatever your going to use to connect to the unit. The 4 puck clutch may be one of the causes of your rough starts.

You need a 240sx tps sensor or a later model nissan sensor and adapt it to the 280zx throttle body, for megasquirt. I made an adapter out of the metal part of a larger nissan tps sensor. I started with just the metal backing, I drilled out the tps hole to a larger size, then mounted the smaller tps to the larger backing. So now the smaller tps fits onto the zx throttle body. The 280zx tps sensor is just an on off switch type and will not work with megasquirt.

You can adjust acceleration enrichment, but you really can't adjust pedal sensitivity unless you have an electronic throttle. It sounds like you are trying to fix a mechanical problem with an electrical solution. 

A lightened flywheel will make it pretty difficult until you get used to it. Same as an aggressive clutch, you kind of trade off smooth actuation with ability to hold more power.

If you are not making a lot of power you may want to look at going back to the stock clutch or at least the flywheel, I could just let mine out and as long as I wasn't facing a steep hill, the car would start rolling on its own. That was only after I made sure my linkages made for a smooth throttle actuation and I adjusted my clutch pedal though.