HybridZ

Documentation on tail light swaps? 240->260z tails?

Are there any write-ups, guides, pictures, etc etc about swapping to newer taillights?  I bought a set of 260z tails for my 240z for several reasons: 1. I didn't have any, 2. I think they look better, 3. They were way cheaper than 240z tails! and I know some cutting is required.  Before I start hacking away, just wondering if there was any info written down so I don't have to completely wing it.  I've searched and all I've really come up with is the finished project, stuff like "Here are pics of my 240 with 260 tails."   Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for the link, that is helpful.  I have the 260z gaskets, so marking and trimming the inner holes and mounting holes should be pretty straightforward.  I was more concerned that the outer lip of the body may not be the same, but I guess I'll just start by making the inner holes and seeing if they drop into place.

I did this to my 240z. Just made a cardboard template of the 260/280 lights with the mounting studs and cut/drilled out what had to be taken out. You do have to cut quite a bit around the bottom to make it flush and two small rectangled to accommodate the backup lights. All of the outer lip and anything that can be seen from outside of the car will match up perfectly. No cutting, welding, or bondo.

IMG_3570.JPG

Took a while to get it fitted. Pretty much just cut test, grind/cut some more until it fits.

IMG_3559.JPG

Do you have the 260 harness? I took a 280z wiring diagram and spliced my harness into a 280z harness to make it match up. I guess you could take the existing 240z harness and light bulbs and wiring and just use that in the 260z lenses without any issues. Unfortunately, I didn't have the 240z bulbs and wiring so I had to modify mine to a 280z. Honestly, it's pretty easy and shouldn't take that long. I think it looks better as well. Let me know if you have any more questions.

IMAGE_73.jpg

I did this to my 240z. Just made a cardboard template of the 260/280 lights with the mounting studs and cut/drilled out what had to be taken out. You do have to cut quite a bit around the bottom to make it flush and two small rectangled to accommodate the backup lights. All of the outer lip and anything that can be seen from outside of the car will match up perfectly. No cutting, welding, or bondo.

IMG_3570.JPG

Took a while to get it fitted. Pretty much just cut test, grind/cut some more until it fits.

IMG_3559.JPG

Do you have the 260 harness? I took a 280z wiring diagram and spliced my harness into a 280z harness to make it match up. I guess you could take the existing 240z harness and light bulbs and wiring and just use that in the 260z lenses without any issues. Unfortunately, I didn't have the 240z bulbs and wiring so I had to modify mine to a 280z. Honestly, it's pretty easy and shouldn't take that long. I think it looks better as well. Let me know if you have any more questions.

IMAGE_73.jpg

Cool thanks for this!  Makes me feel a little better.  When I bought the rolling chassis, the tail lights were missing along with the wiring harnesses and bulbs.  My 260z tails came with their bulbs/harnesses, but they plug straight into the existing wiring in the chassis and seem to be correct? I had just assumed I was lucky and that Datsun didn't change the wiring all the way through.  Or maybe by a stroke of luck my 260z tails game with 240z bulbs and harnesses?  Odd...

Edited by Domesticated

I may be wrong but I think the early 260's were like a 240 and the late 260's were more akin to a 280. Like I said I could be wrong about that, but if i'm not it would explain why you have the 240z style connectors. It would still be worth getting ahold of a wiring diagram for your car and checking it out.

I may be wrong but I think the early 260's were like a 240 and the late 260's were more akin to a 280. Like I said I could be wrong about that, but if i'm not it would explain why you have the 240z style connectors. It would still be worth getting ahold of a wiring diagram for your car and checking it out.

Not saying you're wrong as i'm not entirely sure for the whole production year, but my early 260Z has 280Z style tail lights.