HybridZ

Barn Find Race Motor rebuild.

Nate SERE

There are 2 types of men. Built, and Bought. Such a broad phrase because some people don't have time to build, therefore bought is a up in the air debate. If it was me personally I'd invest the time, money, research, into this build if it was a wknd warrior or if I could throw away $15 per gallon on race gas. If your into a NA street demon on pump gas, this setup may be over kill, and it would be sad to see such a motor spade and neutered for unleaded octane. 

p.s. keep the valve cover though.

We are at a point where we as a group need to try and preserve the Datsun history, looks like that motor definitely made some history in its day.......let it keep on living in its glory and do the swap for the motor that you are really looking for.

A big PLUS ONE for that sentiment.

The engine belongs in the car that it has most history with. Help put the jigsaw puzzle back together again. It's good karma....

How much extra should I be looking at getting to make this deal fair for both parties?

Have him install the head he offered on your short-block (edited - was long-block, got my shorts and longs mixed up) and get it running, with the condition that the camshaft has to survive and the engine has to run properly.  That's what you're looking for and he's the pro.  You'll avoid the typical expensive problems people run into when building their engines.

Edited by NewZed

Have him install the head he offered on your long-block and get it running, with the condition that the camshaft has to survive and the engine has to run properly.  That's what you're looking for and he's the pro.  You'll avoid the typical expensive problems people run into when building their engines.

This! That's what I'd do. Plus I'd ask for a ride in the GTU car if it ever get near where you live.

• 1 month later...

There's a fine line between true value and greed.  Most of the value is in the race history.  And, while you don't go by the original cost, you don't ignore it either.  It truly belongs with the original car and if that can't be managed, at least keep it intact.  By no means, should you de-tune it for street use.  If you replace the 2 pistons and clean/re-gasket it (provided it doesn't need anything else), what you have is a high-end race motor.....not to mention the history.  

In the end, it's worth what you and the buyer decide on.  But, it would seem to be worth way more than a "built" street head.  Maybe a "hot" street long block....tested and ready to bolt in and use the induction system and header it came with.  I don't know....maybe it's not worth that but vintage race stuff (from any genre) with a history ain't cheap!

• 3 weeks later...