HybridZ

Need Help with lost title 240z

shinji Hirako

There is a person in New jersey selling a 73 240z shell for a decent price. It has minimal rust all around. I'm very interested in purchasing it but the seller doesn't have the title. He acquired the shell from a trade he did for another car. That owner (from the information the seller gave me) never gave him the title or a previous proof of registration. I live in new york and im trying to find out what i can do to get this car legally in my name when i buy it. I don't want to buy the shell with no proof of ownership put in lots of man hours just to have it taken away from by a previous owner or unable to drive it legally. Any suggestion will be helpful. Thank you! 

Side bar: I called up Dmv and they were as useless as taking to a door. Same information i found on their website but with an attitude.

Most states require the registered owner to either release interest or apply for the new title, through a "lost or damaged title" process.  Until the registered owner releases interest, the vehicle is theirs.  You don't even need a bill of sale in most states, just the title in-hand with the release of interest signature. It doesn't matter who took money for it, or who possesses it if the title interest isn't released.

That's my understanding.  I've looked at a car or two with no title and you either had to go to the DMV with the registered owner, or find the registered owner and convince them to go to the DMV or find the title,  This is in Oregon, other states may be different.  I haven't seen a simple process described to take ownership with no title.

I think that there may be ways to claim that a vehicle is abandoned and take ownership that way. 

Looks promising but I'll bet a lot of people get stuck here - 

Your Responsibilities are to make sure that the vehicle is not currently titled in your state, stolen, or salvaged.

After five (5) years most titles are out of the system, but if you think your car is still in your state's computer, just contact your local "Department of Motor Vehicles" (DMV) and give them the Vehicle Identification Number from your vehicle. Then ask the status of the Title if any.

I know the VW guys get Vermont titles a lot. I'm not 100% on the process, but I think you can mail in a bill of sale and they will send title to you. Search a sight call thesamba.com for more info.