HybridZ

Hey Zers,

My Dad passed a little over a year ago and in doing so, told me to take care of his old Z. its an 82 280zx n/a.

well,i didn't no to much about cars at the time but i know he said to keep the engine that was in it (didn't have to be stock).

so after much reading and tons of "old Mechanic" advice,iv since rebuilt the entire engine. here is what i have done "surprisingly my self" so far....

Head (work done by Rebello) - N42 head, bigger valves,port,polished,some work done to the galleys for coolant and oil.

Valve Train - Custom cam 512 Lift, 300 Duration, Stiff springs, new Rocker Arms/Lash pads.new timing sprocket/chain.

Block- 0.60 over,JE Flat Top Pistons,Lightened and balanced crankshaft,new Barrings.

CR- just at or slightly under 11:1 on 93 Octane, Timing *19 Int and *38 Full at WOT. (No Ping!) 220-240 psi

Ignition- Modified Distributor (New Dizzy and Dizzy shaft), Full MSD 6AL-2 Ignition with Blaster-2 Coil

Intake- Triple 44 Mikuni Carburetors

Exhaust- MSA 3-2-1 Headers into a 2.75 inch,no Cat,Dynojet Ultra flow muffler.

Drive Train- Auto to N/A 1983 5 speed,Aluminum flywheel/Drive-shaft, R200 4.11 Differential from 200sx

Other- Turbo oil pump,new alternator, new battery,New *Champion 4 core Aluminum Radiator,

Tires- Rear : 245-60-14 fronts are 205-60-14

--

Well that's pretty much it.i gutted the dash,all A/C HVAC stuff,no spare tire,12lb race seats,11lb CF hood,

Custom Aluminum bumpers (look stock),all digital oil,fuel.air ratio,volts gauges.Steel pillar louvers from 81' ZX as well as the 130mph speedo.

I havent had it on a dyno yet for max tuning or ran the track but it takes my buddies mildly modified 86' FoxBody Stang all day until i hit 135-140 mph,then wind resistance goes to s**t..but i can max out my speed around 6,800 in 5th gear,7,000 with some tuning im sure. 0-60 times are crazy,1st hits 38mph like intantly and 2nd hits 58mph not much slower,3rd hits around 80 pretty fast,4th is like my OLD 3rd but tops around 110-115 (speedo isnt to accurate around 100 so) 5th pulls nice all the way to redline.

Post comments and let me know what you think.

Estamated HP? 

P.S- Going from my auto gear of 3.54 to the 200sx diffy of 4.11 was an incredibly large difference in acceleration,car sounds like a F*****g Indie car lol! also vary streetable with the big cam and lower geared diff. wasn't to fun on the street with the 3.54 and that cam profile.

Nice story, good that you completed the mission.  You don't have any numbers to work with though, on the HP estimate.  "Crazy" 0 - 60 times, and, as noted, 135 mph with the wrong speedo gear.  Plus, the 86 Mustangs came with an assortment of engines.

Interesting that you went from EFI to Mikunis, are you just a carb guy or was that recommended.  I know the stock EFI system is not really tunable for the modifications you made so that was probably the best way to get it done.