HybridZ

Removing Tool Storage Boxes

I have seen a photo of a S30 with the tool storage boxes removed. I like the idea of more room behind the seats. I'm wondering if there are any cons to removing the sheet metal if I install a roll bar?

Here is said photo:

IMG_0124_zps531cedc1.jpg

I'm not quite sure that is what that photo really is, are you sure that is not a photo of a 2+2 with the rear seat out? That's  what the 1/4 Window looks like... It might be a coupe though, I don't recall the 2+2 having that kind of wheel well intrusion so it may well be a coupe.

I'm not quite sure that is what that photo really is, are you sure that is not a photo of a 2+2 with the rear seat out? That's what the 1/4 Window looks like... It might be a coupe though, I don't recall the 2+2 having that kind of wheel well intrusion so it may well be a coupe.

You know what Tony, it very well could be a 2+2, as I've never seen one stripped down before. Any thoughts on the removal though?

The photo is not of a 2+2, that is a coupe, the 1/4 window has the point at the top and the 2+2 window avoids the point there. You can also see the outline of the old tool box on the passenger side. Also, the bottom area, where a 2+2 seat would go, is flat. A 2+2 seat is tilted up to the front.

I have been spending too much time in the back of my car.... 

Edited by AkRev

I have heard someone (johnc?) refer to the tool box are and the front cowl as somethingorother: "torque boxes?" So I think that from a structural point that they are supposed to stiffen the chassis. That being said, there is an XP 280z in Memphis, TN, with a 350z or 370z drivetrain that has removed them (and damn near anything without a direct mechanical function) to achieve a curb weight of 1989#-yes, a 280z! I think I remember the owner saying that removal of that section saved him 12#, but that's just two guys talkin'.

Edited by RebekahsZ

So I got started today, but the welds along the fender wells were proving to be a bitch. I'll have to cut some metal away with a reciprocating saw so I can get the drill in there. I'm heading to the lake for the long weekend so I'll finish up and update this thread on Tuesday or Wednesday.

IMG_20140801_140157_zpsac0d23dc.jpg

So I got it all out and quickly gave the excess metal a little grind. Overall weight removed was 9.2lbs, so RebekahsZ, you were close. I'm sure if there were actual lids over the toolboxes it would be close to your 12 pound guess. Weight loss aside, I'm glad for the extra room.

IMG_20140806_115146_zps03f95265.jpg

IMG_20140806_123703_zpsa4fb8c3c.jpg

Haha, that could be true, I had a lot of hidden garbage in there. I bought them at our Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight (Princess Auto). They cost me $10 for 2. If you plan on using them a lot, get a good quality set. Mine dulled quickly because they are crap, but they did the job and I won't need them again.

Here's a link to what I used:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Drill-Bits/2-pc-Spot-Weld-Cutters/3410034.p

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the tool box does a lot more for rigidity than it is given credit in this tread. I also think that it add more rigidity per pound than you can get out of tube work. Just my feelings on the topic, and yes I have cut one out in the past.

Where do you put the cooler now? On long hauls I got a Coleman packed with ice strapped in there, and everything else out in the trailer. I mean, now you can recline the seats almost flat for sleeping just like in a 2+2, but where do you keep your iced Road Beer?