HybridZ

Techno Versions RT mount install issue.

jtpaintballwdp

Installing my Techno Version RT style mount with the poly bushing in my 1970 with R-200 diff.  The mount is bolted to the car, but the R200 looks like it is about an inch or so too far forward.  What have I done wrong?  I have the later model R-200 moustache bar, as well as the curved lower transverse link.  From what I can tell the moustache bar and everything is in the correct position.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the terrible cell pics.

post-730-0-06918600-1406838684_thumb.jpg

post-730-0-54639300-1406838688_thumb.jpg

post-730-0-16560000-1406838692_thumb.jpg

There's three holes on each side of the TV RT mount, to mount it to the car body.  Did you pick the wrong two?  I don't know if it's possible, but there is another hole there.

Looks like everything else is right.

So it looks like if I flatten the high areas(where the sheet metal makes a 90 and goes toward the diff) I can slide the RT mount back and use the two mount holes that are more forward. Looks like that will get it to line up.

Pics are coming up on my phone I'll upload when I'm at my desk.

post-730-0-54629700-1406841138_thumb.jpg

Edited by jtpaintballwdp

I saw those lips after I posted.  Many people use a rubber snubber with the Techno Version mount,  Maybe it's a little too wide for use with the GM mount.  If you got the rubber diff mount with the R200, you could attach it and check its position over the crossmember to verify the diff's in the right spot.  But your mustache bar looks correct and it's not going to move much.

Check the fit of the GM mount holes over the diff holes side-to-side before you put things back together.  I seem to remember needing to enlarge the GM mount holes to the inside.  A round file worked.

Look at Post #5 here if you want to compare TV dimensions to the original RT design.  Notice the mounting area is different on the later cars also, at least one less lip, and maybe wider.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/58895-what-is-the-deal-with-solid-diff-mounts/

Edited by NewZed

I saw those lips after I posted.  Many people use a rubber snubber with the Techno Version mount,  Maybe it's a little too wide for use with the GM mount.  If you got the rubber diff mount with the R200, you could attach it and check its position over the crossmember to verify the diff's in the right spot.  But your mustache bar looks correct and it's not going to move much.

Check the fit of the GM mount holes over the diff holes side-to-side before you put things back together.  I seem to remember needing to enlarge the GM mount holes to the inside.  A round file worked.

Look at Post #5 here if you want to compare TV dimensions to the original RT design.  Notice the mounting area is different on the later cars also, at least one less lip, and maybe wider.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/58895-what-is-the-deal-with-solid-diff-mounts/

Thanks for your help NewZed.  The factory rubber mount does indeed line up.  I'm thinking the early cars are just a bit different.  Not a big deal I can grind/hammer and get those areas flat easy enough.

Edited by jtpaintballwdp