HybridZ

So much for MM axles

So yesterday I decided to do a holeshot with my car in the street with a street tire and my modern motorsport axle decided to snap I'm half. Any recommendations on some stronger axles? Current setup was 300zx cv axles with the driveshaft shop shortened axles with modern motorsports stub axles and companion flanges. Just seeing what everyone else has had luck with there higher hp car. Mine makes 460 wheel horse power. Thanks!

Edited by egzlilgituarboy9

Chequered flag sells 39 spline versions, but they are $830 a pair , plus you have to get the matching companion flanges to run them at $490. so you be in $1,320.

That looks like a clean break! I hope you get your car back together soon!

Now I'll have to inspect my MM axles as well just in case!

Edited by fastzcars

That sucks. As we saw with the shortened axle shafts from M2 differentials, not all heat treating is the same (?). That is a clean break, while my inner CV shaft broke following the course of a spiral crack. I sure hope you just got an axle stub that was improperly heat treated... I am willing to replace a pile of Z31T CV axles, but on the day after I snap my Chequered Flag 39-spline stubs, I will be looking for a 9-inch solid axle. I draw the line there-I've spent and re-spent on stub axles 3 times. Thats my limit. How many splines were your stubs?

That sucks. As we saw with the shortened axle shafts from M2 differentials, not all heat treating is the same (?). That is a clean break, while my inner CV shaft broke following the course of a spiral crack. I sure hope you just got an axle stub that was improperly heat treated... I am willing to replace a pile of Z31T CV axles, but on the day after I snap my Chequered Flag 39-spline stubs, I will be looking for a 9-inch solid axle. I draw the line there-I've spent and re-spent on stub axles 3 times. Thats my limit. How many splines were your stubs?

Mine were the 26 spline. Looking to possibly go with white head performance 39 spline has anyone dealer with them? Emailed him back and forth seems like a nice guy.

Well got ahold of Joe at chequred flag racing. Went ahead and bought some 39 spline axles from him. But the nice guy he is he is sending me a loner axle 27 spline for the time being until I get the 39 spline very nice guy to deal with! I just hope these 39 spline stub axles last! I think my next weak link is the inboard side of the cv axle where it goes into the diff.

now I'll admit I have limited experience with the , imports and z cars , having only helped on a few , maybe a dozen v8 conversions and generally build big block muscle cars , like GTO,camaros novas ,corvettes, and street rods like t-buckets and vegas with big block engines, but Ive certainly shredded my share of  10 bolt, and 12 bolt chevy and a few 9" ford differentials in the process and learned what parts hold up as a result. Ive darn sure shredded my share of corvette IRS differentials and half shafts, so any serious race car I build has a dana 60 rear differential custom fitted

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1282&p=36502&hilit=dana+differential#p36502

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1934&p=5126#p5126

Edited by grumpyvette

now I'll admit I have limited experience with the , imports and z cars , having only helped on a few , maybe a dozen v8 conversions and generally build big block muscle cars , like GTO,camaros novas ,corvettes, and street rods like t-buckets and vegas with big block engines, but Ive certainly shredded my share of  10 bolt, and 12 bolt chevy and a few 9" ford differentials in the process and learned what parts hold up as a result. Ive darn sure shredded my share of corvette IRS differentials and half shafts, so any serious race car I build has a dana 60 rear differential custom fitted

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1282&p=36502&hilit=dana+differential#p36502

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1934&p=5126#p5126

Thanks for the info. Although I do not want to go with a solid axle it might be my only choice if i break these 39 spline. Or possibly a custom shaft with different wheel bearing.

I think manual trans cars are really hard on parts , my car is a auto and the stock stubs have never broken , I do want to upgrade to the 39 spine white head axles , bought a diff from white head , he's a nice guy , the reason I want the white head stubs is because they are drilled for both 5 lug and 4 lug , where as Chequered flag is not .

I am also worried about the axles that go into the diff as well , I am thinking about getting a set and having them cryoed if I any find aftermarket ones

I think you can get Chequered Flags stubs double drilled if you ask. IMO the problem here isn't defective heat treat, it's just too small an axle. The same people that made MM's axles make CF's, so there shouldn't be any difference at all in the quality of the parts, and they do make very good parts.

My CF stubs are dual pattern 4 and 5 lug, but they are an early set-don't know if the product has changed.  Joe answers the phone himself for questions.  I told him I didn't like the baked oil finish he was using and now the stubs are zinc coated.  MM made a couple of different stubs:  some just had a different companion flange welded to stock 280z companion flange, so the stub was sill stock-I'm not sure what you had.  I don't know if CF makes the 6-bolt companion flange for Q45 axles (should be on the site, or a phone call would answer it).  My CF 39-spline stubs with their companion flange for Z31T CV axles are a work of art.  145 clutch dumps on slicks and going strong (as are my M2 shortened axle shafts)....the inner CV stub, now that's another matter, but I've only broken 1 so far.