HybridZ

75 280z not charging.

bowl of seeds

My Z had a charging problem with the alternator.. The PO installed a internally regulated alternator and eliminated the external voltage regulator. The car runs correctly until the battery dies of course.. Is it worth trying to fix this messy harness or should I try and source a cleaner, more complete harness? I've been on the look out at junk yards around me, craigslist, and even ebay but I can't seem to find one for my year Z..

You don't need any of the wires from the factory harness to get the alternator to charge.  You can run separate L and S wires, ground through the body or run an extra wire, and run a main charging wire to the battery or the starter lug.

You should figure out how the alternator works first, you'll need to know that anyway even with another harness.  Unless you're planning to go back the the external regulator.  There is no easy path when working with the electrical system.  Put the seeds down, open up the wiring diagram file, and get your meter out.

You don't need any of the wires from the factory harness to get the alternator to charge.  You can run separate L and S wires, ground through the body or run an extra wire, and run a main charging wire to the battery or the starter lug.

You should figure out how the alternator works first, you'll need to know that anyway even with another harness.  Unless you're planning to go back the the external regulator.  There is no easy path when working with the electrical system.  Put the seeds down, open up the wiring diagram file, and get your meter out.

Okay, so to wire up the charging system separately.. I have the pos charge wire running to the battery and the ground is coming from the chassis. Where do I connect the L and S wires to?

The alternator is a 90Amp internally regulated from a 240sx s13 I had it tested and it is good.

There is a point where cracking a book to understand the function of the components you are installing becomes mandatory.

This is one of those times.

Once you know what "L" and "S" stand for...you will realize what your question is really asking.

Shoulda stopped before only seeds remained.

• 2 months later...