HybridZ

Is this gap normal??

joker81

Ok so let me start off by saying sorry if this is somewhat of a silly question. The answer is probably obvious but I need someone to point it out to me. Is this gap between the tail light and the panel normal? I should have paid more attention when I removed the lights but I didn't. I changed out the chrome pieces and put on some new gaskets, and once everything was bolted up I noticed the gap. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Thanks guys.

post-18773-0-20491500-1407797509_thumb.jpg

Naturally that's the first thing I did. Here are two of the best pictures I found...Now if this is not normal let me rephrase my question. What should I do to make it normal? I`m a little lost here...I`m hoping for a little more help than Google it..

post-18773-0-68881900-1407806108_thumb.jpg

post-18773-0-96124600-1407806123_thumb.jpg

Take them back off and make sure the light housings are seated properly on the surround.  If I recall right there are three or four sizable Phillips head screws that connect the red light housings to the black surround.  Maybe you forgot to tighten them.

Also, notice how the big pictures from the internet show more clearly how things fit all the way around.  Your closeup of a one area gap is not the same.  Your picture doesn't really show much.

Regardless, there's not much you can do until you take them back off.

post-8864-0-35349000-1407806718_thumb.png

Edited by NewZed

How to fix it: it's a 70s car-the fit and finish wasn't that great from the factory new! Try to find something else to think about. Have you seen the fit and finish on a Hemi Cuda that hasn't been "restored?"-it was terrible. Put some shiny wheels on that car and you won't notice the funny gaps and other factory imperfections. These cars were meant to drive for a few years and throw away.

@NewZed, thanks for the help, I'll take everything back apart and see what I can do. Everything seems to be in the right spot and tightened up properly but you never know. If anything I'll just follow RebekahsZ's advice. I`ve been looking for a reason to get some new wheels anyways hehe.