HybridZ

Got a project...Probably shouldn't have.

Impalla672

So i bought this 77 280z thinking it would be an easy fix. The tranny was out, needs a new clutch and starter along with the breaks bled. So the guy claims. Get it home and find out its a bit more than just that. I know i know.. I was stupid and should have looked in the first place, But there is a bit of rust. i got pictures of most of it but then i got kinda mad at myself and stopped lookin until recently. The bottom part of the hatch is also rusted out (kinda) It really just looks like poop....ANYWHO i guess what im really asking is does anyone know what it might cost to get the rust repaired by a shop? im a stupid punk kind and don't have a welder to do so myself. Also i forgot to mention that the floor pans were replaced by the dude i bought the car from and they look good and solid. Only thing is, he sprayed really aggressive bed liner on them so they wont rust..So if anyone know a way i can take that off that would be much appreciated too..Thanks for readin my rambling.

post-38718-0-76261400-1407817150_thumb.jpg

post-38718-0-69861500-1407817151_thumb.jpg

post-38718-0-55661700-1407817152_thumb.jpg

post-38718-0-05581800-1407817153_thumb.jpg

post-38718-0-61741900-1407817153_thumb.jpg

post-38718-0-08541900-1407817154_thumb.jpg

post-38718-0-56902000-1407817154_thumb.jpg

So i bought this 77 280z thinking it would be an easy fix. The tranny was out, needs a new clutch and starter along with the breaks bled. So the guy claims. Get it home and find out its a bit more than just that. I know i know.. I was stupid and should have looked in the first place, But there is a bit of rust. i got pictures of most of it but then i got kinda mad at myself and stopped lookin until recently. The bottom part of the hatch is also rusted out (kinda) It really just looks like poop....ANYWHO i guess what im really asking is does anyone know what it might cost to get the rust repaired by a shop? im a stupid punk kind and don't have a welder to do so myself. Also i forgot to mention that the floor pans were replaced by the dude i bought the car from and they look good and solid. Only thing is, he sprayed really aggressive bed liner on them so they wont rust..So if anyone know a way i can take that off that would be much appreciated too..Thanks for readin my rambling.

The First and 5th pics are of the battery tray. Above and Below.

The front bumper is interesting...

As a GENERAL rule, there is twice as much rust that you can't see.

You are looking at thousands of dollars and probably months of time to send this to a shop and say "fix the rust".  Buy yourself a welder and get to learnin ;)   Do yourself a favor and don't even think about a flux core welder.  Go straight for a gas set up.

Regarding the bedliner, there is no magic answer that I know of other than a lot of elbow grease.  If you are lucky, the PO didn't prep the surface well and you can make some good progress with a scraper.  If you dig around, you will find a good amount of discussion on the various ways people have used for this type of thing:  Heat, cold, abrasive blasting, needle scaler, chemicals, etc. 

Enjoy your Z, they are addicting.

Hopefully the next owner pays attention - it's on Craigslist again.

That's funny.  I suppose it is better that he is selling it off rather than tearing it apart and losing interest just about the time that half of the parts were misplaced or damaged in removal.