HybridZ

I can't advance base timing on l28et (help tony D)

malibud

Ok I have the Jim wolf 300z ecu with an 1982? turbo set up in a 240z. Idle timing is set at 8 degrees . I believe I have the crank angle sensor from a vg30e like they want. I have flipped it both ways no change. I checked the placement of the distributor. At 0 degrees, and the #1 piston set TDC the rotor points to #1. the screw holes gives me very limited adjustment is there any way to change that? I thought I read in search that Tony D said there was a way around that but did not explain. can I take the distributor out and move it over one tooth ?   I going to junk yard today to get another CAS wheel .

thanks 

Dan 

Thanks but I am using one from a vg30e maxima distributor . I got a spare just in case. I think I figured out my problem one second look. When the #1 piston is at TDC and the rotor is pointing to #1 the timing mark is pointing to 10degrees . I think my dist. is off  . I am a little worried about moving it and being totally out of wack so I might take it in to the shop. 

But if I mark the dist and move it wont it slide back into the same slot ? because of the oil pump 

thanks 

I can put it in correct time but cant get the the dist. hold down bolts in the hole. Thought about cutting the end of the slot off and use a bolt with a washer to hold it down. Idled great at 20 degrees.

From reading your earlier post it seems that I have to drop or loosen the oil pump to move the dist over a tooth. I tried moving the dist over but the oil pump would not turn . Can I remove 2 screws from oil pump and loosen 2 and move the oil pump shaft over ? 

"Only way to fix is a new shaft or praying you can get it right rotating teeth on the drive end."

are you saying I need a new dist shaft ?

THANKS you are very big help !! 

You can try dropping the pump and indexing the shaft as shown in the service manuals and the how-to books, but if that can't get the job done then you may have slipped the press-fit gear on the spindle, and it will either need to be re-indexed and pinned, or replaced.

I'm betting the oil pump drive spindle has been incorrectly indexed when the pump was replaced at some point.

I believe I have the crank angle sensor from a vg30e like they want. I have flipped it both ways no change.

He's not using a stock L28ET CAS he's modified with a later disc, I'm guessing, from what he wrote above.

You mean the disc with the holes in it, right?  There are a variety out there with holes in different positions,from what I've been able to figure out.  But if the one you have is that close, 12 degrees, you probably won't find better since you're off the stock application grid.  You'll probably have to mess around with the drive gear as suggested or just modify the hold-down clamp like you described.

I'm assuming you did something like cgsheen describes in Post #20, here - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/111877-north-idaho-eastern-washington-280z-l28et-wiring-gurus-or-anyone-willing-to-help-a-knucklehead-out/?do=findComment&comment=1052558

New zed that is correct I am running a remapped ecu from a 87 300zx I need the CAS wheel for it to run right. I can't see too much harm in cutting the distrubutor so that I can get more advance seems like it would be the easiest route. But I will look at oil pump drive spindle indexing too. Thanks for the replies ..