HybridZ

Air to Water IC Intake Manifold Idea

z-ya

I've been studying up on air to water intercoolers, and I think they are a great alternative for street cars, and the make for a much cleaner install. I've already done the air to air in the past, so I am looking to try something new.

So I have been thinking about how to integrate the A2W IC into an L6 manifold some how. I've attached a photoshopped rendition. Keep in mind the orientation of the IC will probably change to clear the fender well. The TB may also be located under the IC so it is a straight shot from the turbo. I'm looking for a clean install, with minimal plumbing.

I've also considered ITBs between the IC and intake. But a single TB would certainly be cheaper and a lot less moving parts.

Comments?

post-274-0-87089300-1470748987_thumb.jpg

Edited by z-ya

• 1 year later...

Bumping this. I am starting to think about this again. From what I read there is no issues having the throttlebody upstream of the IC, as long as the IC plumbing is short. I am thinking that I would weld partitions between the runners where the IC meets the intake manifold. I'm thinking that this would simulate longer runners.

Ideas, thoughts?

TB before IC? Done all the time on Turbocharged V8 engines. Short run to IC is the key as you mention. Nice design you've made!!

Nelson racing engines build a Ton of  BIG HP Turbocharged motors using Air to Water Intercoolers. Have a look at their combination AW Intercooler and Intake manifold combo for LS1 engines:

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/~nelsonra/the-gallerry/Dual-Injector.html

tn_rch_7529.jpg

• 2 months later...

That essentially how your new SS Cobalt/mustang/camaro/Corvette/Hellcat cars all work. Supercharger blows directly into the A-W aftercooler and then down a short runner into the cylinder head.

Google laminova intercoolers and you'll see all kinds of designs for different inline 6 BMW intercooler ideas.