HybridZ

Alright I just want to start by saying that I'm still very new in learning about the S30(Datsun 280Z). I've been reading up on this car and things about it as much as I can. With that being said I need help and will continue to look for answers(searching) apart from this thread. Not sure where to start and looking for advice.

I think with everything I have in mind not looking at all the prices yet. The budget for my car that i plan to keep until I'm old and senile would probably be closer to the $20k-$30k. Unexpected problems/costs.

I will be getting the car this Sunday the 17th of August. what I think is the proper way in going about this build would be first to strip down to the bare frame and doors and hood and get it sent off to be sand blasted or media blasted whichever is better. Not sure on that.

Second would be to get camber plates welded in so handling is a little better. 

Next I assume would be to get some sort of roll cage put in. Need more info on cages before deciding to do it before getting painted.

Next steps I'm not to sure on...

I want to do an RB25det or RB26dett depending on a few things. One how much money would it be to find one. found an RB25 for 1200 with ecu wiring transmission on CL(no RB26 on CL).

Two would be how well would the engine sit in the bay? Would it throw off the distribution of weight very badly? Is there something I'm missing? I know I would need to get custom engine mounts made. 

Should I build the engine how I want(400-450whp) before dropping it in the car or build it once its in the car? I know theses can handle up in to the 600hp range without any internal mods. 

With building an engine comes with fuel upgrades that I will have to read up on. I'm not too sure what to do as far as transmission goes because I want one that can handle the 400-450whp without breaking synchros very much or case flexing. I've thought about going automatic but I enjoy driving manual too much to do that. I know I'm missing information on other key things like a differential and stuff but this is all I know for now...

I plan on upgrading some of the electronics like gauges and audio not to familiar with it really but I will be I want to build and do as much as I can on my own or with help.

I do want to keep the original gauges and get some extra gauges in there. I also plan on replacing the speakers and running a Subwoofer with two amps one for the door speakers and tweeters and one solo for the Sub that will be mounted into the back sort of molded into the car not really in a box.

I will be upgrading the seats so that I will have some sort of seat harness so i Dont fly if I ever wreck it(and rebuild).

I want to get the AZC brake setup looks nice read awesome reviews and not many people have done rebuilds on them.

I want to lastly want the floor to be carpeted and leather doors.

I know I don't have all the information and have never built a car and I apologize if this thread upsets some people "just look up everything yourself its out there" I want someone else s ideas besides mine so I can learn and see what others think. I'm building this car like this because if I can do this and finish then I'm going to into this field of customization. 

I wanted a RB when I first started... to keep it in the family.... then I realized that it doesn't matter what power plant you want. 

Bring $$$$ and lots of it.  Even with hookups and favors and working all that I can this car will just about be the death of me.  What was going to be a 18k build has well.....gotten out of control

Have a plan and stick to it.

Do you really need all of the Add-ons?  Keep it Simple......

What condition is the car in? What are your plans? Are you capable of doing all the work yourself?

If you're having it done at a shop, I doubt your 20-30K budget will cover a full strip, blast and rebuild, RB swap/build, cage and suspension. You can probably get away with that budget if you're doing most of the labour yourself.

Will it be a track car or a street car? You won't want a cage if it's going to be a mainly street driven car, unless of course we enjoy wearing a helmet while driving in traffic, or you and your loved ones don't mind the potential for serious brain injury from a minor collision. A half cage/roll bar might be a better compromise. It'll certainly help with safety on the track and street, provide mounting place for harnesses, and most importantly, keep steel bars out of proximity from your skull. 

And like Texas300 said, is the high power RB and all the other trimmings necessary? I would recommend bringing it back to good working condition, drive it, and see what you think the weak points are. I've had my S30 for 2 years now, and when I first got it I had big plans for it, but as I drove it, I found my desire to upgrade everything became less and less. Sure it would be nice to have more power, and I do have an L28ET ready to go, but I'm not bored with stock power. The stock brakes (with upgraded pads, fluid, and hoses) are perfectly adequate for spirited street driving and autocross every other weekend. Eibach springs and Tokico blues along BF Goodrich Rival tires have kept it a top contender at local autocross events. I finish in the top 3 overall at almost every event against a slew of FR-S' and Evos.  

For electronics, keep in mind these cars only came with a pair of 4" speakers in the 1/4 panels. You should be able to fit 5 1/2"s in that location with some trimming, though you might have to weld in some captive nuts though. Adding front speakers will required some creativity. You will find a thread in the group where a member is selling replacement fiberglass door panels with a build in speaker pod. Keep in mind it requires converting to power windows, and the panels need to be finished. If you're replacing gauges, you can fit quality aftermarket gauges in the stock locations, this has been well documented. You shouldn't need anything more than RPM, speed, water temp, fuel level, oil pressure, and boost and wideband AFR if you go the turbo route. 

I wanted a RB when I first started... to keep it in the family.... then I realized that it doesn't matter what power plant you want. 

Bring $$$$ and lots of it.  Even with hookups and favors and working all that I can this car will just about be the death of me.  What was going to be a 18k build has well.....gotten out of control

Have a plan and stick to it.

Do you really need all of the Add-ons?  Keep it Simple......

I'm still trying to get a complete plan together. Right now im gathering as much information as I can so when it comes time to tear it apart and build it Ill be ready and have the least amount of potential problems that I can have if that is possible and that makes sense.. But as far as the "add ons" go. I want to build this car the best i can possibly do and make it a bit of both worlds mostly street but show up at the track and wow some people.

What condition is the car in? What are your plans? Are you capable of doing all the work yourself?

If you're having it done at a shop, I doubt your 20-30K budget will cover a full strip, blast and rebuild, RB swap/build, cage and suspension. You can probably get away with that budget if you're doing most of the labour yourself.

Will it be a track car or a street car? You won't want a cage if it's going to be a mainly street driven car, unless of course we enjoy wearing a helmet while driving in traffic, or you and your loved ones don't mind the potential for serious brain injury from a minor collision. A half cage/roll bar might be a better compromise. It'll certainly help with safety on the track and street, provide mounting place for harnesses, and most importantly, keep steel bars out of proximity from your skull. 

And like Texas300 said, is the high power RB and all the other trimmings necessary? I would recommend bringing it back to good working condition, drive it, and see what you think the weak points are. I've had my S30 for 2 years now, and when I first got it I had big plans for it, but as I drove it, I found my desire to upgrade everything became less and less. Sure it would be nice to have more power, and I do have an L28ET ready to go, but I'm not bored with stock power. The stock brakes (with upgraded pads, fluid, and hoses) are perfectly adequate for spirited street driving and autocross every other weekend. Eibach springs and Tokico blues along BF Goodrich Rival tires have kept it a top contender at local autocross events. I finish in the top 3 overall at almost every event against a slew of FR-S' and Evos.  

For electronics, keep in mind these cars only came with a pair of 4" speakers in the 1/4 panels. You should be able to fit 5 1/2"s in that location with some trimming, though you might have to weld in some captive nuts though. Adding front speakers will required some creativity. You will find a thread in the group where a member is selling replacement fiberglass door panels with a build in speaker pod. Keep in mind it requires converting to power windows, and the panels need to be finished. If you're replacing gauges, you can fit quality aftermarket gauges in the stock locations, this has been well documented. You shouldn't need anything more than RPM, speed, water temp, fuel level, oil pressure, and boost and wideband AFR if you go the turbo route. 

The car I was having someone hold for me got sold the day before I told the guy i was available to get it. So im back to looking for one to get. I'm going to do as much work as possible myself excluding the blast/repaint cage work(if i do get it done). I want to go to an Rb because I love the engine and its very durable. I dont know many pros cons for the cage because I don't know much about cages besides they are used mainly in cars that get alot of track time as safety for the driver. No I dont want to have a helmet all the time so I was assuming there is a partial cage that is good enough for both street and track where I wouldnt have to wear a helmet daily. As for audio that is a last step because I can always do that last. You talked about springs and I forgot to mention but Id probably go with coilovers and get flares. I enjoy the look. I am prepared to spend a shiny penny getting this car how I want it. Ive been doing nothing the past 2 1/2 months except reading asking questions bout this car and working so I can spend 2 years getting this build exactly how I want it.