HybridZ

Fake brembo's..........

japanparts999

Just got word that some shady Chinese company are actually making counterfeit Brembo and AP Racing brake kits. From just the looks of it, there’s little to tell apart from the originals and the counterfeits. Price wise, the counterfeit brakes are just one third the price of the real deal.

Posted Image
a15.jpg
a15_01_a.jpg
a15_01_b.jpg

What we can gather from the news site is that the whole operation isn’t as shady as you would imagine, as the makers of these imitation brakes actually has a showroom, warehouse and a workshop! The shop owner, known as Chen, mentions that the brakes are even used in some Macau races. Even more worryingly, Chen has claimed that he has exported quite a number of these counterfeit brakes to Malaysia. The reporter has also noted that the warehouse has stocked a lot of these counterfeit brake calipers and disc rotors, which they suspect might be for wholesale purposes.

Posted Image

Chen does not counterfeit only Brembo, as he claims that he also produces AP Racing brakes and other well known brakes. Several experts has voiced their concerns over these fake brake kits, as using imitation brake kits can cause fatal accidents, since they do not stand up to the strict quality control Brembo and other manufacturers impose.

So guys, if you do happen to come across some brand new, but dubiously cheap Brembo brakes, please proceed with extreme caution, as these counterfeit brakes do not perform like how the originals should. The car’s braking system should not be taken lightly, as this is a matter of life and death.
Photo credit goes back to Apple News HK.

The original article can be found here

:banana:

China ripping off high quality, highly engineered components that can get people killed?

Really?

You don't say!

Wow, ever since that arsenic & Prussian Blue to make the tea leaves green it's gone downhill...

Check out the crash tests of the China Copy Bentley, BMW, & Mercedes. Can you say "decapitation"?

Another quick buck copier in China. The Emperor encouraged it, so it was written, so still is it done.

[snip]...as these counterfeit brakes do not perform like how the originals should. [/snip]

I have to ask, has the author actually done testing to confirm this, or is this just assumption?

Now, I don't support "counterfeit"  parts, or things branded as something they are not (Same reason I HATE kit cars), but just because something is cheaper does not automatically mean it does not work as well. 

Obviously people try to cash in on brand names, by making these counterfeit products, but if there's one thing that I've learned over the years of buying products, price does NOT dictate quality.

Buying CHINESE parts on price is no guarantee on quality.

As a sourcing agent who does spot audits on vendors, I'd never knowingly buy a safety part manufactured in Big China.

When you're dead, who do you complain to?

Edited by Tony D

"Double Happiness"!

I always bought Lucky Strikes in the way into Japan from Shanghai, cheapest Duty Free cigs anywhere I've been!

Had my boss pick up Marlboro Red Hard Packs coming in-country from SFO Duty Free (American Packaging) - "I didn't know you smoked!"

I had to explain to him how I give out A PACK of smokes as I meet customers, work with local techs... He was floored "that's a GREAT idea, you expense that right?"

Uh, nooooooo I just did it because 1) it's a great cultural in, 2) my expenses are flagged for enough as it is, buying cigs is a "fire now explain later" kinda situation...

He decided I should expense them from there forward. Now the smokers on the Tech Services Travel Circuit have been duly informed...and thank me for the great idea as three cigs in China is normal. That leaves 17 for THEM to smoke (on expenses!)

HR, The Wellness Crusaders, and all those others probably view that as some evil conspiracy on my part...they're right...it is. My little rebellion. As I said "If I wanted to screw the company, when I did, you would THANK ME!" They did thank me for that great idea of giving away cigarettes.... Mowhahaha...

Creeeeeepy. And yeah the brand name knockoff stuff out of China is always a let down. Never seen any knock offs that were even close to a comparable level of quality. Took my chances on a few pairs of headphones and a few scale models. Wouldn't try my hand at knockoff brakes =( 

I don't think those are knock-offs, just China - Sourced OEM parts...

You don't even want to get into the horror stories. If you think sourcing parts in Big China is a hands-off proposition, drop costs and make huge margins...I suggest you read a book:

"Poorly Made in China"

Seriously, that's the name of the book. It deals with  haircare products, but it's exemplary of any industry. I gave it to our China Liaison in his darkest hour, and he came back the next morning shaking my hand, ecstatic saying "YOU SAVED MY SANITY! NOBODY BELIEVED ME!"

Just knowing your not alone in what you're seeing is enough for some people to keep carrying on... As for those back on the East Coast, coming on the two-week dog-and-pony shows...they're CLUELESS!

Even in my case, I got a "yeah, it took us a while to see" from Mr. Stoic, P.E. -- no apology for the way I was treated, or excoriated for 'bashing' but a tacit acknowledgement that my words two years ago were prophetic "I'm telling you there is NOTHING WRONG with our product! It's the INSTALLATIONS and the SERVICE! They're INCOMPETENT, they're LYING TO YOU! Let me ask you this: When we design a bullet-proof machine, and they STILL BREAK IT, will you THEN ADMIT that it's the INSTALLATION, SERVICE, and WORKERS HERE IN CHINA that is the problem?"

I was recently told to get a China Visa (after two years of refusing to get one, I didn't want to waste my time...) My assignment: "Go look at the Installations, and Audit the Service Work done on the sites for possible contributing causes to the failure of the new machine sent there earlier this year." I refer to it as "my gloating assignment"... Why do people halfway around the world with small minds refuse to listen to those who are THERE every day seeing firsthand what  is going on? Why does a two week dog/pony/drinking junket trump hard facts and photographic evidence? Idiots.