HybridZ

280z reads only 12v of power

I've had my 280z for about 7 months now and it was running strong until one day I was changing the spark plugs and I stripped the port so long story short I just brairly fixed the thread on the spark plug port and got the spark plug in and hooked up the battery and the gauge only read 12 volts so I hooked up the jumper cables to see if it will move but nothing and now the car just doesn't want to start any help btw 1976 280z stock l28

Edited by okamis30z

Bad battery, dirty battery terminals, bad charger.  Doesn't sound like a major problem.  Are you connecting the charger to the proper terminals?  Could be why you only get 12 on the voltmeter, it's not actually charging.  The newer chargers can tell when they're connected backward and just won't do anything.  And the Z battery cable colors are often backward.  Check for the + and - signs on the battery.  Clean the terminals.  Make sure you have good battery cables.

Bad battery, dirty battery terminals, bad charger.  Doesn't sound like a major problem.  Are you connecting the charger to the proper terminals?  Could be why you only get 12 on the voltmeter, it's not actually charging.  The newer chargers can tell when they're connected backward and just won't do anything.  And the Z battery cable colors are often backward.  Check for the + and - signs on the battery.  Clean the terminals.  Make sure you have good battery cables.

so switch the one that I have the plus on to the negative

No.  Don't do anything until you figure out which cable is the positive one and which is negative.  Then make sure that the positive cable is connected  to the battery terminal that has a "+" beside and the negative cable to the one that has a "-" beside it. 

You should find someone to help you out.  This is very basic stuff, but you can do a lot of damage if you get it wrong.