HybridZ

getting my first datsun.

Hey guys,

I am finally taking the plunge and buying my first Datsun car/project. my plans are to install a small block chev (carbed)and either a 5 spd or an auto tranny, still undecided on that one. I want to install a roll cage in it eventually. From what I seen so far the car does need a small patch on the passenger side floor. I want to tear the whole car apart and start from scratch.

I have a few questions for you guys that have done the swap before.

1. I know there is wiring kits on the market (painless wiring). has anyone installed the kits and if so did you have any problems with it. I don't plan on starting the car with the key, I want a push button start and master switch. as for the gauges I am running all aftermarket gauges and can run right from back of gauge to the block, (volts, water and oil) I am just wondering what headlights and taillights are going to be like as heater switches, wipers etc.

2. I have researched quite a bit about suspension, I know I want to run a R200 or a 230 rear diff, I know I want to adjustable coilovers and fenders flares but how much are you guys lowering your vehicles and what are you guys running for tire sizes. I want to use the car on weekends to use as a track car that's why I am asking.

3. what was the hardest part about your build. I built a race truck so I am a gearhead but never did anything foreign (cars that is) so its all new to me.

any help or advice with this is appreciated, thanks in advance 

To get the most out of HybridZ, study all of the FAQs as 99.99% of all swap questions have been answered in detail over the last 13 years.

The more time you spend researching and planning, the easier and cheaper the swap will go.

Buy these:

How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. The book gives details about Z cars that are not covered in other manuals. Available at Amazon, MSA and Black Dragon

Haines manual for 240Z.

Buy the Jags that Run (JTR) book on 240z engine swaps. It covers 90% of engine swap details.

Go to the JTR website: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/index.html

Download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your Z. Some are posted here or just do a web search. They are free.

Do a search on HybridZ/web and download any electrical schematics you find. Some members have posted improved color coded schematics.

Plan every detail before you take the car apart.

Edited by Miles

Thanks for the quick reply back. I ordered and read the Datsun Z V8 conversion manual. There was a lot of useful info in there for sure. I am going to do a search for the factory manual. I never heard of the how to restore your Datsun book before. do they talk about the adjustable coil overs for suspension or is it just a restoration book. It is going to be an interesting project to say the least. I am still on the uneasy side about it because its not a chev, but I want to try something new. I am sure I will have lots of questions about it but before I ask I will try and research it.

In my opinion, HBZ is the single best source of high-performance Z car info.  But there are several other good sources out there...just google and you'll find.  ZCar.com; ClassicZCar.com are just a couple.  There are loads of Datsun and Z car forums all over the web.  Use 'em all.

As long as you're starting with a relatively clean/rust-free shell, the rest will be gravy (relatively speaking, of course!)  You'll never be happy with a cancer-ridden shell, and the repairs will cost WAY more than what you would have spent on a clean shell to begin with.  

Also, the better idea you have for long-term goals early on in the build will help ensure that you don't end up doing and redoing various parts of the build.

Good luck with it. 

The Z car is simple. If you are good with a Chevy, you will be good with a Z. Lefty-loosy, righty-tighty. Buy some metric wrenches and you are good. Make friends with someone who had been a Z guy for a long time and make him/her your mentor. Pick someone who has built a car like you want to build. Stay away from mean people.

Wick's book is aimed at restoration. It has details that no repair manual has. This book plus the FSM will save you hours of research and frustration.

Thanks for the quick reply back. I ordered and read the Datsun Z V8 conversion manual. There was a lot of useful info in there for sure. I am going to do a search for the factory manual. I never heard of the how to restore your Datsun book before. do they talk about the adjustable coil overs for suspension or is it just a restoration book. It is going to be an interesting project to say the least. I am still on the uneasy side about it because its not a chev, but I want to try something new. I am sure I will have lots of questions about it but before I ask I will try and research it.

I'm a bit like you, I know chevy stuff. My plan is also like yours, by the time I'm done, the only factory electrical component will be the dome light. Aftermarket headlights,(dapper), aftermarket tail lights,(vette) hate if you must lol. I'm planning on a simple hotrod painless kit. I'll just have to figure out the ignition switch and combo switch. Everything else should be simple. You definitely came to the right site though, EVERYTHING is here. Search away...

I'm a bit like you, I know chevy stuff. My plan is also like yours, by the time I'm done, the only factory electrical component will be the dome light. Aftermarket headlights,(dapper), aftermarket tail lights,(vette) hate if you must lol. I'm planning on a simple hotrod painless kit. I'll just have to figure out the ignition switch and combo switch. Everything else should be simple. You definitely came to the right site though, EVERYTHING is here. Search away...

There are some good posts on how to connect a Painless harness to the combo switch.  Try searching on "Painless combo switch".........etc....  I recall seeing a diagram, schematic etc

That's why I was thinking of the push button start switch. I have one set up in my race truck and I have a master switch beside it to turn everything on. push the button and it starts right up. I think the only think I might  have to run through the column is the wipers and turn signal. It should be a fun project to say the least.