HybridZ

Safety equipment put to the ultimate test Yesterday

Mikelly

Two weeks ago tomorrow I got "mostly" a clean bill of health and was told I can return to the track to instruct in cars, and other high impact living, like Mountainbiking and running.  While I was sidelined with injuries from the crash I had lots of time to process and think about what I may do in the future when instructing... There are changes a'coming in my aproach to my students and getting them up to speed while limiting my risk in the right seat. 

Edited by Mikelly

Two weeks ago tomorrow I got "mostly" a clean bill of health and was told I can return to the track to instruct in cars, and other high impact living, like Mountainbiking and running.  While I was sidelined with injuries from the crash I had lots of time to process and think about what I may do in the future when instructing... There are changes a'coming in my aproach to my students and getting them up to speed while limiting my risk in the right seat. 

Mike, I'd be curious about what those are if you're willing to share. I started tracking last November and have done 10 track days since. Back in August at Laguna, I "instructed" for the first time, hopping in our shop BRZ with another shop guy, who was a first-timer. It was definitely unsettling to say the least (early turn-in into the Corkscrew is not fun).

Now, I am by no means qualified enough to really instruct but I wanted to help the guy out since he'd been involved in motorsports for a long time but never actually had a chance to drive on track. Ever since then, I've been doing some reading and thinking. Ross Bentley's "HPDE Instructor Manifesto" is great, I think it was recommended on this site, possibly. I figure that even if I don't instruct in the next year, or three, or ever, I will at least have a better perspective from all of this.

Anyway, if you decide to post your thoughts, plans, and experiences, I'd be very interested and grateful! :)