HybridZ

240z Ls1 build help appreciated 300zx parts car

I just picked up a 1973 240z at an auction on the weekend and have been planning my LS1 build. I also couldnt pass up a 1985 300zx NA for $200 bucks either.

The main question I have is what parts can I rob from the 300zx. I bought it for the R200 differential swap and from what Ive read I think it does not have a LSD. Is it worth throwing the stock R200 in the S30 or should I upgrade the internals before install.

The other question is can I swap the brakes over. From the forum posts I've read it doesn't seem to be easily done and the only reason im debating doing it is because I have the 300zx that will be sent for scrap after I take what i need.

Any input on what parts should be transferred would be great.

My expertise is in corvettes so this will be my first non-corvette build. What is this brown color and holes on the exterior? :(

Pretty sure that nothing is worth swapping from the 300 to the 240, except the R200.  The 240 probably has an R180.  You'll need more parts to do the swap, it's not really a throw-in job.

You didn't post any pictures so it's not clear that the brown you mentioned is even on a car.

The brown was a joke about the rust because I usually do fibreglass work instead of metal.

Ya i figured the diff would maybe be the only thing worth saving. Is the stock  1985 300zx NA diff a good choice to put behind a LS1 motor and T56?

The brown was a joke about the rust because I usually do fibreglass work instead of metal.

Ya i figured the diff would maybe be the only thing worth saving. Is the stock  1985 300zx NA diff a good choice to put behind a LS1 motor and T56?

The 300zx diff. won't last with the T56 if you beat on it too much . I clunked mine ( with over 200k miles ) in a month with very little abuse .

What did you replace it with after i blew?

Nothing yet , it's not blown , just a little clunking . Going to go with 4-link 8.8 Ford soon ( this is my 83 ) , anticipating a turbo 6.x and will be an auto ( T400 ? ) . My 78 is still holding up , it's an auto trans , and I don't do any full throttle launch from a dead stop .  :D

Differential can be very dependent on the type of driving you do. If you're going to be heavy footed and even compete the car the R180 will eventually go. The R200 LSD will last behind an LS1/T56. I've been driving mine for over 10 years now and it's still holding up. I have broken a halfshaft u-joint, though. Best to go with CV's for the half shafts. So some research and you'll probably have even more questions. There are several options other than the R200, including an R230 out of a 90-96 300ZX turbo car or the 8.8 DOMZS is going with.

You, my friend, need to spend hours and hours and hours digging through this site.  It's all there for you, so go find it! 

It's a fun swap, and many people have done it, and asked the exact same questions as you.  Dive into the amazing amount of knowledge that is on this site and the answers you seek shall be found.