HybridZ

I want to build 10 second car. From where should I start?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sir,
You are going to get a lot of different suggestions to this as there are a lot of different answers to that question. Bottom line it all depends on your personal preference as well as budget. If money is no object then what you are wanting to do should be fairly easy due to the low weight of the car. The other thing is what do you want to do with the car?

You can go naturally aspirated, turbo, supercharger or Nitrous. Again it boils down to how much you are willing to spend as some of these parts can add up in a hurry especially if you want it to handle great too. You can easily do suspension and brakes put a stock LS1 with some Nitrous and get into the 10’s but if you want the engine not to mention other drivetrain components to last you may need to build it for the purpose you are intended to use it.

My build is similar to what you are looking for. I wanted a car that would handle great and be faster than my previous car (C6 Z06). Running 10’s will do that for sure. Handling well and running 10’s is a little tricky since you can’t run wrinkle walls and handle at the same time therefore you need just enough traction and horsepower to avoid lighting the tires up every time you hit the gas. Like they say spinning is not winning.

A lot of options and a lot of good builds on this site, just depends on how far you are willing to go.

Good luck and look forward to see what route you decide to go.

A head/cam LS1 is easily able to obtain 10's in a lightweight car.  I was well into the 10.8's with this setup in my 2,900lb LS1 powered FD RX7.  Not sure how easy it is to get a 240z to hook up in comparison, but it is very doable power-wise to do with an N/A LS1

I've personally seen two diff 260z's run 10's but both were tubbed cars, I've played around with race cars for years and I don't think you'll get a z into the 10's with that stock suspension but I could be wrong I've been running a foxbody mustang running 11:46 to 48 and its hard to keep that from blowing the tires off sometimes, I'm looking for a tubbed rollor myself right now but it'll be all racing, good luck finding what you want

Well sir,

You are going to get a lot of different suggestions to this as there are a lot of different answers to that question. Bottom line it all depends on your personal preference as well as budget. If money is no object then what you are wanting to do should be fairly easy due to the low weight of the car. The other thing is what do you want to do with the car?

You can go naturally aspirated, turbo, supercharger or Nitrous. Again it boils down to how much you are willing to spend as some of these parts can add up in a hurry especially if you want it to handle great too. You can easily do suspension and brakes put a stock LS1 with some Nitrous and get into the 10’s but if you want the engine not to mention other drivetrain components to last you may need to build it for the purpose you are intended to use it.

My build is similar to what you are looking for. I wanted a car that would handle great and be faster than my previous car (C6 Z06). Running 10’s will do that for sure. Handling well and running 10’s is a little tricky since you can’t run wrinkle walls and handle at the same time therefore you need just enough traction and horsepower to avoid lighting the tires up every time you hit the gas. Like they say spinning is not winning.

A lot of options and a lot of good builds on this site, just depends on how far you are willing to go.

Good luck and look forward to see what route you decide to go.

Thank you so much sir for sharing this information and I really appreciate it.

In this stage I'm really confused witch route I should take. I have now 2012 Mustang 5.0 but I'm not satisfied with the porfomance. The engine is great but the car is so heavy and Im afraid that I will end up with the same porfomance that the mustang do.

Thank you

I've personally seen two diff 260z's run 10's but both were tubbed cars, I've played around with race cars for years and I don't think you'll get a z into the 10's with that stock suspension but I could be wrong I've been running a foxbody mustang running 11:46 to 48 and its hard to keep that from blowing the tires off sometimes, I'm looking for a tubbed rollor myself right now but it'll be all racing, good luck finding what you want

Yes, I think you are right about the tubbed roller. I think if I build a Z with more than +500RWHP the tires will spinning and I will lose traction.