HybridZ

To buy or not to buy?

If I'm selling a stock vehicle, that I still have insurance on, I will allow test drives, but my ass is in the passenger seat when it happens.

If I were to sell a toy/project, you'd have to be known to me, or have some good references from people I know, that is if I have insurance on the car. 

When buying old cars, even test drives guarantee nothing. You could go for a test drive, where everything works perfectly, but then as soon as you pay and pull away the engine falls out. 

I've never test drove any of my vehicles before I bought them, well that's not entirely true, I did sorta test drive my '98 Malibu before I bought it, but it was owned by a friend and I took it for a drive months before he decided to sell it, and I told him that when he was ready to sell, to let me know.

When buying old cars, it's always a risk, no matter how you have it inspected, or how much you look at it.

There is no "red flag" to not having a toy/project with road coverage (insurance).

You don't need a high speed run to check out a transmission. . .

I think the hype of doom is simply overwhelming you.

Most guys after a discussion will let you do things. But really exchanging $$$ and then taking a ride around the block should suffice.

I took my F150 down the road from the dealer 1/2 mile, and back. I then drove it 7500 miles across the country. After doing an upper plenum kit on it...

Six shooter, that actually happened to my Studebaker when I bought it. I got 30 minutes away and the oil pump gave out lol

Yeah I've gotten use to Murphy's law "anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

A good ride around the block should be fine indeed. It'll be interesting to get the feed back from my father when he meets up with the seller.

Well there were more problems than he listed. There was an exhaust leak from the header, none of the blinkers worked, seats were ripped, tacho didn't work, paint job wasn't a full body job, the steering wheel had some play to it and there was some rust he covered up on the floor pan. He was willing to drop the pice no lower than 4,500.

Well there were more problems than he listed. There was an exhaust leak from the header, none of the blinkers worked, seats were ripped, tacho didn't work, paint job wasn't a full body job, the steering wheel had some play to it and there was some rust he covered up on the floor pan. He was willing to drop the pice no lower than 4,500.

What was not complete about the paint job?  I'm guessing engine bay, interior and jambs still black?

I think you're being a bit too picky. It's 40 years old. What exactly are you expecting? It's not going to be perfect.