HybridZ

What is a good size tire for 15 x 8 with 0 offset on a 240Z ?

This thread is proof that searching the forums will usually get you your answer. I just purchased some 225/50R/15 tires for my 72. And I’m very close to buying some SSR MKIII wheels.

I was however worried about the offset because I don’t know all that much about tire fitment and all that good stuff but this thread basically answered my question that the best bet for the offset is 0 and the the sizes of 7.0 in the front and 7.5 in the rear should be more than adequate for normal street driving. Gotta love this site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

225/50-15s are a perfect performance size for a 15 x 8 wheel.  I ran that size for years on mu autocross and TT 240Z.  I've also run 225/50-14s on 14 x 7 wheels where the rules required a 14" wheel.  Those worked great also.

John,

What would you suggest the best solution to be if the tie rod end is rubbing on the inner part of the front wheels? I am assuming this is because I installed roll center spacers...? I have 15x8 ...0 offset.

Thanks for the pic. So, you have both a lateral and a diameter problem. I THINK you'd be golden with the shortened knuckles....I guess you've tried grabbing the tie rod end and twisting it a few degrees to make the zerk point straight down? When I ran 15s, I ground a little off my tie rod ends to get that last few mm of clearance. I will probably be doing shortened knuckles and electric steering assist in 2015 if I can get all the parts I have horded up installed over the winter.

I wonder what would happen if you took

off the knuckles, put them in a vice, heated them red hot with a torch and bent them in a bit....I know we all fear heat stresses, but that's how a hot rodder in the 50s would likely handle this. You would need to have the requisite remaining adjustment threads available on your inner tie rods to absorb the shortening of the system.. .

I havent tried a spacer. I hadnt really considered heating and bending the knuckle either. I may try grinding the edge of the TR end since these are going to be thrown away anyway. If grinding works then I can grind down my new TR ends. If not I am thinking QS knuckles or possibly these:

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/outer-tie-rods-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

Edited by THUNDERZ

Here is what my orange car looked like with 225-50ZR15 tires on 15x8 zero offset wheels. The problem is that there are not a lot of tire choices anymore in this size. You can get DOT competition tires, and then Falken. That's about it.

I've got this set of P1 Racing wheels that are 15x8 with a 5" back space. They require coil overs, but they tuck nicely inside stock fenders. They are for sale if anyone is interested. PM me.

IMAG0207.jpg

post-274-0-76991900-1414613720_thumb.jpg

When you were running this size wheel you didnt run into this issue with your TT 240 car? 

No issues on the ITS 240Z with 14" wheels, but we couldn't run the steering arm spacers.  On my track 240Z with 15" wheels I did have a slight problem but I cut the spacers down about .083" and fixed it.  Not an issue when I ran 16" wheels.

No issues on the ITS 240Z with 14" wheels, but we couldn't run the steering arm spacers.  On my track 240Z with 15" wheels I did have a slight problem but I cut the spacers down about .083" and fixed it.  Not an issue when I ran 16" wheels.

Thanks John ...I'll give that a whirl.

Edited by THUNDERZ

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2014 at 7:33 AM, johnc said:

15 x 8s pretty much require coil overs and for racing there is a noticeable difference in performance between a 7 and 8" wheel when running 225s. To get the most out of that wheel and tire combo you need to get 1/16" rear toe in and at least 1.5 degrees of negative camber in the rear suspension. It's all about the back of the car with 15 x 8s.

What exactly would that difference be, and why would a 7" vs 8" wheel affect it that much?

8 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

What exactly would that difference be, and why would a 7" vs 8" wheel affect it that much?

Try to be aware of the date of the post you are replying to. That is 3 years old and, most tragically, that member is no longer with us.

I am guessing that John was seeing performance increase from sidewall stiffness and contact patch, as a result of the wider rim.