HybridZ

koni yellows and no travel

I've just converted my struts on my 240z to coilovers using koni yellows part 8641-1060  (300zx), front and rear were sectioned 24mm and using eibach 2.5 ID 10 inch springs, 200pds rear and 175 front with koni foam bumpstops. The problem I seem to have is the travel, the fronts look to have maybe 10mm of travel before hitting the bumpstop and the rear would be around 20mm, not sure what is wrong here, maybe the springs are sagging more as they are soft?

post-1622-0-29771200-1408847436_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-57364900-1408847400_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-40927500-1408847415_thumb.jpg

Edited by mossy74

I will probably raise slightly Tony but I'm hoping to keep it around its current height, I actually didn't think it looked too low so I was suprised at the travel. My last coilovers were done the same as the strut sectioning FAQ with the illuiminas and same springs except they were 225/250 pd springs, I thought maybe the stiffer springs gave me a bit more travel as they didn't compress as much.

JMortensen-that's good to know.  I run a pretty solid bump stop from a PT Cruiser that jnjdragracing turned me onto, in order to limit rear squat in an effort to keep the axles straighter on launch.  jnjdragracing carries his car halfway down the track on these bumpstops with both front tires in the air.  I also run the koni bumpstops that came with my shocks.  With the rideheight that I run with roadrace tires (24 inch tire), I have about 1" of travel before hitting the bumpstops.  With drag racing rubber (28" tire), I am on the koni bumpstops at rest; that gives me about 1" of travel (squishing the koni bumbstop) before I bump down on something more substantial (the PT Cruiser bumpstop).  Last night, I was examining my available travel after sanding a little tire/flare interference off of my flares:  I pushed the koni bumpstop down against the strut body with the tire off and the suspension in droop.  Then, I put the tire back on and set the car on the ground.  Jacked car back up to droop the suspension at look at how the bumpstop had moved, using the bumpstop as a "tell-tale."  That little procedure told me what my travel was like.  I then dropped the spring seat to its lowest position and jacked the tire up into the flare until the other rear wheel came off the ground, and then jacked a little more to compress the suspension a full 2 inches from the starting point on the ground-revealing that I still over an inch of clearance to the body/fender well before my largest tire was in danger of rubbing.  Now to set final alignment and get on the track!   Final step is to get some slow frame video of the car launching from the side (to watch for tire movement toward the dogleg/compression of LCA bushings) and from the rear (to determine need for more positive static camber such that tires are at zero camber when the car squats on take-off).  Suspension set up is time consuming, but so much fun!  And I hope to never stop learning.

mossy74-you will tire of being so low the first time you scrape your oilpan when your wife sends you to the grocery for milk and eggs.  Think about bringing it up some or getting some taller tires.  I've done the low thing and it gets old having to plan your route everytime you pull out of the driveway, oops!  you scraped getting out of the driveway.....its nice to be able to straddle road kill.

Thanks for the info guys, I will raise the car a little but I'm also thinking of changing the stock isolators out for some fixed pillowball mounts from japan which from what I've read should give me some more bump back. (Bump stops are 45mm)

http://www.fine-auto-service.com/pillowupper/index.html

Edited by mossy74

Looks like some decent hardware, but you might want to check these out....very similar and cheaper.  A few guys here have tried them out with no major complaints that I've seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK1-PillowBall-Bearing-Strut-Upper-Mount-For-Coilover-Kit-Mounts-Plates-240Z-/161203739866?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A280Z&hash=item25887ddcda&vxp=mtr

• 3 weeks later...

ok so just an update on what I think i might try, pillowballs are out as I think they might be a little too noisy for a street car, so I have raised the car a bit, its 6 inches from the ground to the rocker pichweld, front and back, travel is around 25m front and 35mm back. I can try and get more front travel by sectioning the front again and using some koni mr2 8641-1142 shocks and also ditching the koni foam bumpstops and replacing them with 25mm poly bumpstops, any suggestions?

I think you missed the point of my earlier post. You will continue to have travel after you hit the Koni bumpstop. It just effectively raises the spring rate. This is much preferable to the poly bumpstop, which doesn't compress as far and has a much much higher spring rate. If you have 25mm of travel before you hit a 40mm Koni bumpstop, you have probably 55 or 60mm of travel there. Those bumpstops compress A LOT by design.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but I have been searching for the Koni bump stop part number.

I ordered my Ground Control coil over kit with Tokico Illumines and 225 front and 250 rear springs for my V8/T56 280Z and I don't want to put in Poly Bump Stops from what I have been reading.

Thanks

Thanks John, Now I need to find out the tokico illumina BZ-3102 and 3103 rod diameter.

Tried a quick google search and found nothing, I'll try calling them today

Linear or progressive and what length will be my next research project

Anybody else use the Koni Bump stops and which model did you use and why?

Thanks again