HybridZ

Redux Z ('76 280zt)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Tonight's the night.

It happens, most here are lurkers.

Personally, I love the updates, keep em coming.

Know that I'll be reading them.

Sorry-you never know who wants comments and who doesn't. Here goes: looks freakin awesome! Keep up the great work.

BTW-cute kids too! Subscribed and following.

Woohoo!!!

I would have to look back, but my Z became a hybridz two or three years ago. My build thread was about 50/50 split between useful info and criticism from other guys who still haven't finished their cars. I started with the car that I got at Ft. Rucker and drove at Ft. Bragg. It sat in my mom's garage whe I was stationed at Ft. Ord to keep it out of the salt air, then it sat in her garage again when I was in residency at Galveston, TX. By the time I started my engine swap the paint was decent but 15 years old. I can't imagine doing a full-on restoration/engine swap. That takes a lot of endurance. I did the engine swap (LS2) largely because I was tired of rebuilding carbs. The extra 300 hp was a bonus! Hang in there. PM me anytime you feel like kicking the cat.

...alright..seriously. No words of encouragement or criticism? I've dropped a Celine Dion & Dexter reference, put my pics of my new P1 up (it's actually not mine) and the build is a full ground up resto with RB swap from a guy who's never touched a car. Tough crowd. 

Looks good!  I'm going to be knee deep in epoxy primer soon enough, taking a little different approach though since I'll be sanding and spraying one panel at a time.  Did you find that the makeshift booth was helpful?  How critical did you find the dust free environment to be at the priming stage?

Looks good!  I'm going to be knee deep in epoxy primer soon enough, taking a little different approach though since I'll be sanding and spraying one panel at a time.  Did you find that the makeshift booth was helpful?  How critical did you find the dust free environment to be at the priming stage?

In hindsight, it was probably overkill. It only took a couple hours, a $25 roll of plastic, and duct tape but for me it ended up cramping the working space and I block sanded regardless. It did keep the rest of the garage from getting painted. Which is nice. But I'm not sure I would do it again. Probably just paint it outside on a clear still day. 

I would have to look back, but my Z became a hybridz two or three years ago. My build thread was about 50/50 split between useful info and criticism from other guys who still haven't finished their cars. I started with the car that I got at Ft. Rucker and drove at Ft. Bragg. It sat in my mom's garage whe I was stationed at Ft. Ord to keep it out of the salt air, then it sat in her garage again when I was in residency at Galveston, TX. By the time I started my engine swap the paint was decent but 15 years old. I can't imagine doing a full-on restoration/engine swap. That takes a lot of endurance. I did the engine swap (LS2) largely because I was tired of rebuilding carbs. The extra 300 hp was a bonus! Hang in there. PM me anytime you feel like kicking the cat.

I'll admit...I sometimes wonder what I was thinking. But I had the rusty version before and wanted to make sure it was something I could hang on to without any issues. Then the problem becomes..."well I wasn't going to do this but the car is already apart and it'll be so much easier if I do it now" thought process and the project tends to increase in size. Oh well, off to paint on the 12th and it's time to put everything back together. 

• 3 weeks later...

My dad was the VP of the Z club of Houston back in 77 78 79. My car is from 1 of the founding members. I still know a few old school guys1 of which i am poised to get a few cars from in the future. I am not really into the scene as i have not had a functional car. But that will change ince i am on the road. I have 93 turbo Supra as well. So I might hit that crowd up as well.

The Z scene in Houston is very much live, just not through ZCoH... Most active Z group is "Houston Z cars" which can be found on all social media pages, with Facebook being the most active. There's a lot of 350Z and 370Z owners in there but they're all friendly and love the classics. Now there's also plenty of Datsuns in there so you won't really feel like a fish out of water :) and keep going on the build! My 77 is getting close to finished (running wise) and my 78 will be on the road again today!

Would love some feedback on the JPN garage wide flares.

The fronts that arrived fit fine. The rears however are too wide at the opening by at least two inches. I contacted JPN and the response was bend them. And they were made that way so people could put wider wheels (which doesn't make sense). And further he checked with the group that made them and they indicated that's how they are and no one has ever complained.

Am I losing my mind or missing something with these?

post-978-0-04373700-1422498188_thumb.jpg

bummed to see you are going with flares. ±I really appreciated the work you had done on the the body! hate to see fender chopped

But as far as the flares go maybe confirm with someone else about the fitment issue who also bought from jpngarage. But the flares I installed a couple years ago from MSA didnt have the fitment issues you mention to that degree. I had to flex them a little bit, but nothing that was awkward

Edited by stravi757

I have held 3 different brands of flares in my hands and mocked them up on my car. Every one of them is too wide(?) in the fore and aft direction. I flexed my current pair to make them fit better and they now have cracks in the gel coat. Flares are one of those things that, at least for now, there are only imperfect products available. Ya need to design and make something better or just live with it like the rest of us. I think they were originally created to just cover the top of the tire for racing rules, and like many racing parts, they are intended to be light, simple and disposable. I doubt that the guy who made the first pair envisioned us paying $400 for a set-he probably made them at 2:00 in the morning the day before a race. At 42 years old, my Z seems determined to self-destruct no matter what I do to delay the process of decay. Car is at metal shop right now having some metal fatigue in the door repaired. I'm going to ignore the cracks in my flares until they fall right off the car. I just hope the screw holes line up for the inevitable replacements.