HybridZ

MECHANICAL WATER TEMP GAUGE

rosaaen89

Hey everyone i was wondering if anybody has an idea how to get a mechanical water temp gauge working? It has a liquid filled autometer water temp gauge installed in the dash but is not hooked up. Has a fairly large plug in the engine bay but I have no idea where to install it. Or if I would be better off just switching to a electrical water temp gauge?

I run a mechanical water temperature gauge, and quite like it because I know it isn't going to fail and will read accurately - and I can also watch the temperature when the engine is off, which can creep up quite a bit sometimes.  

You will be screwing the plug for the temperature probe into the thermostat housing, which is where the water flows from your cylinder head back into the radiator.  The sensor screws in right below the water hose.  You will need to have an adapter for the autometer screw plug as it is the wrong size for this hole - auto meter part number 2275  (on summit:  http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/atm-2275)

Oh, just saw that this is posted in the Toyota L6 forum - ignore me.  The sensor will still plug in where the water temperature sensor is though, likely by the thermostat housing, might still need an adapter too.  On a modern engine, I think I would be more inclined to run an electronic gauge though.  

I ran mechanical on an L6. Was disappointed that I had to go electric with the LS motor. The mechanical was accurate enough that I could see the thermostat open and close. Get the adapter and use it. Just take the thermo housing to the hardware store. It's all NPT fittings IIRC.

EDIT--Oh, and don't kink the tubing. You can bend it back and forth and zip tie it up if the line is too long, but don't kink it.

Edited by JMortensen

No the one on the probe in your hand in the picture. The probe has a short nut built into it with exposed male threads and the probe sticks out from there. What you have is a 1.5" or 2" long hexagonal adapter for some other kind of vehicle screwed onto the probe. Or at least, that's how it looks compared to my Autometer probe.

Here are the Autometer instructions if that helps: http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/0318J.pdf