HybridZ

'82 ZX N/A: Sluggish performance, tach needle jumping, and RPM surging beyond 5000.

Connor280ZX

After i installed the new ICM on my car, it ran great... for about a week. Today, first off the car felt very sluggish to accelerate, and struggles to climb hills. In traffic i noticed the tach needle started jumping around a few times. Then, once i had to accelerate going on to a highway at WOT, above 5000 RPM the engine would hardly accelerate anymore, and start to surge like hitting a rev limiter. 

Once i got home, i checked all of my electrical connections. Checked the ignition timing which showed 10 BTDC. My guess is that this chinese ICM that i bought is bad, but let me know if you think otherwise.

I guess i could try replacing that. It's only 10,000 miles old, but i do run my tank down every now and then. Sometimes surges at that RPM when revving in neutral BTW. Yes, i am referring to the ignition module. I usually shift around 5.6-5.7K. It pulls, or pulled nicely untill it starts to choke around 5,800. 

Edited by Connor280ZX

There are eleven ignition system tests that you can do using a meter, page EL-28.  You might also check the stator magnet to see if it's broken, check the air gap, check that the bushings aren't worn allowing the air gap to change.  Look at the tips of the six point reluctor for signs that they've been touching the stator.  Pretty common I think for the magnets to break and the bushings to wear out.  The bushings are available as a maintenance item.  Someone posted recently also about another part that wears, but I can't remember what it is.

Might not find your problem, but you'll know more than you do now.  On fuel - there's always the old gauge sticking from the hood method.  Watch what happens in the problem zone.

Oh, rebuilt 5K ago as well? good info to know.

"In traffic i noticed the tach needle started jumping around a few times."

Hint: What drives the tachometer (assuming it's good and not failing)? What component gives the tachometer its input to twist the needle? And what component triggers it? And what component triggers it?

Wring diagrams in the back of the EL chapter.  Nissan did a poor job on it though, trying to show turbo and NA on one drawing.  Still figurable.  You are wrong (you requested).  Edit - actually you're only partially wrong.

Edited by NewZed

The signal comes off the (-) terminal on the coil, and yes, it's controlled by the Ignition Module (it really doesn't control anything, it's a switching box that has a fixed dwell feature..."ICM" is not "Datsunspeak"...)

If you have a tach freaking out intermittently, and it's good, then.....your input circuitry is giving a bad signal source to it.

One day and 12 posts later, no testing done, and you're buying new parts without knowing much more than when you started. 

Don't forget the coil itself.  And if you're guessing on the module, the GM HEI module is a much cheaper way to go.  It will wire up just the like the black box does.

Edited by NewZed

Of course I have ran some tests. Checked resistance of the unit, coil and voltage at coil. Not to mention that I have tried switching out the coils.

I don't like the idea of wiring up an aftermarket IGN system on my daily driver, so I bought a direct replacement.

Edited by Connor280ZX

A GM HEI is not exactly an 'Aftermarket' system, it's just what another OEM uses.

I have run an AFTERMARKET performance GM HEI since 2002, I can shoot a spark almost 4".

Try that with a stock E12-80! 

It cost me a whopping $48 too...

There are 'direct replacements' and there are performance improvements which sacrifice no reliability. The GMHEI module swap is one of them.

Plus, the "TACH" terminal on the GM module comes in handy....for something...I forget what...

Edited by Tony D

Alright, it's been a couple of days since I've installed the new new module, and the car is running very well. However, there's now a small issue. Whenever I let off of the gas when the car is moving, the tach needle jumps down, maybe 300-500 Rpm, but immediately recalibrates.

Edited by Connor280ZX

"Whenever I let off of the gas when the car is moving, the tach needle jumps down, maybe 300-500 Rpm, but immediately recalibrates."

Look for a pinched wire, begging the obvious logical response of "when you take your foot off the gas pedal the tach needle SHOULD 'go down' and continuing thereforth..."