HybridZ

Picklex 20

V-Fib

Wanted to make a post about this metal prep solution to see if anyone has used Picklex 20 during their restoration and how it worked out. I am looking to treat some minor pitting and surface rust prior to priming and filling as well as protect portions of bare metalwork before the car goes to the blaster.

They also say that it does not "etch" the metal but creates a paintable surface - to me it raises concerns about adhesion of the primer coat. Can anyone attest to it's robustness and longevity?

I used it quite a bit on my car and on some of the metal that I used to make patches. Worked well so far as keeping surface rust down goes. I never painted directly over it, always wiped down panels with acetone and did a little scuffing with scotch brite or sand paper, haven't had any problems with paint peeling or anything. Still working on my build, but I painted some of the parts 6 or 7 years ago, and no sign of anything peeling off or any other issues.

• 1 month later...

I've used it in the past mainly at a former restoration shop I worked at. We mainly used it to control the flash type of rust when a body was in bare metal and we were doing rust repairs and metal finishing the body. It's a quality product with several different uses. If you are going to get the car media blasted I wouldn't worry about using any until after the car returns from the blasters. One excellent use for it is to work it into the pichwelds and other areas such as inside rockers that media blasting can't reach. If you are getting the car media blasted you should'nt have to worry about anything other than controlling the flash rust before you apply primer. It would be a good idea to plan to use a good quality Epoxy primer,(PPG DPLF is a great product, if you are on a budget Transtar Autobody Technologies  makes a good epoxy primer as well as an excellent filler primer that is isocyante free.) (much safer for you) and apply it asap after you get the car back. Then you can continue with any patch work as well as apply body filler over the E-prime.