HybridZ

Adding USB charging outlets to S30

Kevin.pk

This is really simple and basic install but thought some other folks might like it. 

Bought a usb charging outlet/panel from amazon: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRJH8CE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41yC2MMZcXL.jpg

It comes with a mounting plate but can be pulled from that and just use the circular portion as seen in the picture above.

This very well could be installed in the dash in place of the cigarette ligrher outlet but I like the idea of keeping the cigarette outlet for a more universal 12v outlet. So this got installed in the center console.

I popped out the small square port in between the fasten seatbelt and defogger lights. The hole did have to be opened up. If you have a pristine center console, this would be a hard pill to swallow, but mine is beaten up so i had no problem opening up the hole some.

Wiring is super simply. Just supply switched 12v and ground to the two spade connectors on the back and you are done.

The front panel has a fairly obnoxious blue light that is on all the time. I intend on painting over it, but there a rubbery cover for it when not in use. 

IMG_20140914_222315.jpg

IMG_20140914_222328.jpg

Installed one in my daily as well. (shows the light on)

IMG_20140918_101729.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CB-Twin-USB-Port-Way-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Adapter-AU-4-/221546978537?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33953a9ce9

I picked up something similar to thisat a truck stop I was getting gas at. It was under$20. The end that plugs into the cigarette lighter broke eventually so i wired it to 12v in my daily. I will get another one like it and velcro it under the dash or on side of the console on the Z 

BLOZ UP, where did you locate it?

@ Kevin, nice and clean. .....I like

I use the actual cig. lighter outet to power a few always-on items (GPS hot-start, etc.). I added some extra wire from the stereo harness to a weatherpak, then to a double cig. outlet behind and under the passenger seat. Then I plugged that inverter in.