HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

Yes is stock 280ZX turbo 'distributor'.  The only change was the 50mm optical gate wheel was

replaced with one from DIYautotune.com for use with a MS Sequencer.

I do have a cap on it, but only to keep crud out.  I've since acquired a mill and lathe, and really should

come up with a cleaner solution, but I enjoy watching the double take when someone looks under the

hood...

Yes is stock 280ZX turbo 'distributor'.  The only change was the 50mm optical gate wheel was

replaced with one from DIYautotune.com for use with a MS Sequencer.

I do have a cap on it, but only to keep crud out.  I've since acquired a mill and lathe, and really should

come up with a cleaner solution, but I enjoy watching the double take when someone looks under the

hood...

It looks like Andy is working on a cover for the 1982-83 stock L28ET dizzy over here.

Valve cover done.

20170707040846-ffbda88c-me.jpg

As I said earlier I'm having it powder coated but I wanted a couple of shots of it raw aluminum. I think it looks great but I want to see what it looks like coated. For me to leave it raw would require a bit of work and then back to the foundry for shot peening again.  Not in the cards. The flange is o-ringed. A little more work but since I'm sure to have the cover off and on a bunch it made the most sense. 

20170707040853-18f37c08-me.jpg

Everything fits really well. Intake casting is a little scruffy but that's how it goes with prototypes. 

20170707040848-e9c7821b-me.jpg

I should have been a plumber:) 

20170707040850-475ce6d6-me.jpg

Should be ready to do oil pressure tests at the end of the week. I have a few more small items to work out but then I'm dead in the water without cams and a header.

Edited by Derek

The voice of reason in my head is wondering if knowing it works wouldn't be worthwhile before spending too much effort on appearance.

Only posting to support that tiny voice that you must be hearing in your own head...

The pretty stuff is cathartic for me and It helps me keep it moving forward. It's also when I'm looking for things I missed.  Plus if it doesn't work it will look great as a table!

Now climb back in your hole you heretic:)

... As a Journeyman Plumber for 35 years, I'll try not to take offense - that was pretty funny and a fairly accurate portrayal of how fitters see themselves. But Derek is apparently a God at fitting and plumbing already, so Plumber or Pipe Fitter makes no difference. That's beautiful piping work in any language.

@Darkie your wrong about the font spacing it was typed on a computer to begin with its spaced perfect! what you are seeing is the angle of the letter A makes an illusion that is further away from the T its perfectly fine. However you dont want to loose that HP  B)

@some members about the optical wheel you guys seem to forget what hes doing on this thread like an optical wheel like its a big challenge or work around. Also forgetting that Derek made the FORD EDIS CAS mounts and 36-1 wheels/hubs. still got mine on my turbo 240z MS2

@Derek February you say? Valentines Day sounds good   :wub:

An optical wheel is one of the best options for an RPM sensor. It absolutely should be considered in the design. Just because an antiquated EDIS system works doesn't mean it's the best option. An optical sensor off the cam will give the most flexibility and options for stand alone EFI systems. Even a variable reluctance setup with cam info would work of course.

Edited by FricFrac

@some members about the optical wheel you guys seem to forget what hes doing on this thread like an optical wheel like its a big challenge or work around. Also forgetting that Derek made the FORD EDIS CAS mounts and 36-1 wheels/hubs. still got mine on my turbo 240z MS2

Uh...Apparently you missed where he said he is researching other CAS options and wants to make the design as flexible as possible. I even provided optical CAS dimensional data to him at HIS request.

• Like 1

@Darkie your wrong about the font spacing it was typed on a computer to begin with its spaced perfect! what you are seeing is the angle of the letter A makes an illusion that is further away from the T its perfectly fine. However you dont want to loose that HP  B)

Obviously I was joking, but font kerning is a real thing. Its exactly because of the reason you described that any designer would adjust the kerning manually in order to make it look right. Here's my attempt, and remember Im just a carpenter, not a designer :) :)

post-32065-0-69564200-1450485571_thumb.jpg

Top is default font spacing, bottom is kerning adjusted on the DAT and WOR

Edited by thedarkie

Regarding kerning. You are ALL right.  I used the computer to lay it out and that's how it decided to do it.  The camera angle is not helping things either. Ultimately it looks off in person and I should have caught it. And if all I was doing was a valve cover I probably would have but I've got a few things going on these days:) . It bothers me enough to where I'm going to fix the pattern for future valve covers. Regarding the font. I like it and that's all that matters. Period. End of it.

The CAS issue is this: There is no better or best. Only what's right for you. My goal is to make it so that as many systems as possible can be run. As Rossman said he sent me dimensions for the 280Z CAS and I verified that V2 of the head will accommodate it. Direct cam angle sensing is a little different. The only accommodation I'm going to make for now is to drill and tap the rear of future cam cores so that will be available for use to mount things. I suppose you could adapt a 300ZX CAS to the back or front of the valve cover and drive it with one of the cams.  I'm not going there but that's why they made tig welders.  Running the 280 dizzey with a new wheel and cover would probably make the most sense. 

Derek