HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

When using your water outlet there, how are you handling the thermostat?

This V2 is looking really excellent, the combustion chamber is tiny but who knows....maybe the spark plug towers can be left unthreaded and a diesel injector could be fitted!

When using your water outlet there, how are you handling the thermostat?

Something fabricated or perhaps an inline unit. I imagine it will be according to the type of build people do. 1 1/4 NPT will make plumbing it pretty straight forward although there is enough meat to weld on something custom. For this build I'm thinking an off the shelf inline unit.   90 degree turn off the head, inline Tstat, straight to the radiator.

There is also nothing stopping someone from milling the whole thing off and building a manifold like the OSG if they wanted that look.

This V2 is looking really excellent, the combustion chamber is tiny but who knows....maybe the spark plug towers can be left unthreaded and a diesel injector could be fitted!

Don't worry it will look a lot more normal when I get done with it. Although there is plenty of quench area if I left it like it is:)

The wall thickness at the opening is only about .1875" wall. The ID tapers in to match a NPT thread. No matter what though, if you wanted a mating surface you would have to weld or screw something on.  I was restricted by the exhaust on the bottom and the top head surface on the top. This is basically the biggest I can fit and still have it clear the cutter head during surfacing.  

One other thing I did that you may like is I added extra internal bosses on the exhaust side. Now the head can be drilled for a one piece flange like mine or individual flanges. That should give you more options when you are designing a system.

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

Update time.

Tried to get some decent video and still sounds like crap. I will get something going but right now my efforts are elsewhere. 

I have about 2000 miles on it mostly daily driving with at least one or two hard pulls a day.I think  I've developed some chain slap as I'm getting some noise on startup. The pull side guide is way too far from the chain. I knew it was a problem going in but things got a little crazy at the end. V2 uses a KA chain but a new guide arrangement.

Did a teardown and inspection of the cam and rocker assembly at 1500 miles. No big surprises. The rear oil supply line came loose so the rear tower may have been starving a bit. It's hard to say as the towers were used and a few of them were "well used".  It runs really well. I stopped having Jeff tune because it just didn't make sense trying to get the perfect tune on a motor I'll be switching out. He has it running very dependably and that's what I'm looking for at this point.

Here are a couple of shots of the finished engine as it sits right now.

20170707041223-2eaa89c4-me.jpg

20170707041220-39409cc2-me.jpg

And since I've been a good boy I decided to splurge on something I've wanted for a while. 

20170707041226-60ba47e3-me.jpg

I'm so Happy!

I got them through HybridZ member ihiryu. Saved me a bunch and the order went flawlessly. 

Cutting the cam cores for V2 as we speak. The head is scheduled for radiology testing Thursday.

Derek

Edited by Derek

Everytime I see those fuel lines I drool.   Great job overall Derek.  Very excited to see a video.

What did you use, to attach the fuel lines to the injectors?   Custom machined bits?

Edited by HuD 91gt

That is one of the most glorious things I've ever seen. The effort that went into this project is monumental. WELL DONE!

Yes your right, Speedhut did a fine job on those gauges din't they  ;)

Everytime I see those fuel lines I drool.   Great job overall Derek.  Very excited to see a video.

What did you use, to attach the fuel lines to the injectors?   Custom machined bits?

I machined the caps but they are based on something I saw online. 

Derek

What diameter of gauges did you end up going with? Is there a discount if we purchase through ihiryu?

4 1/2"  2 3/8". Here is the link to his info post.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/109469-group-buy-on-speedhut-gauges/?hl=speedhut

Pricing depends on what you buy. And yes it was quite a bit cheaper going through him.

Glad to hear it's all still going well!!!

Quick question for those playing at home, as I can't remember if it's been covered. Since it's all based on Honda tech, do the cams etc spin opposite to normal L Series, and if so will it cause issues?

Somewhere in my brain it's telling me that Hondas spin different. Sorry for my ignorance, never played with anything but L series 6 cyl motors.

That, and it's 0214 AM here.....

P.S. Loooooovvvvvveeeeeee the Speedhut gauges!

Adam

Edited by KenmeriRacer

Glad to hear it's all still going well!!!

Quick question for those playing at home, as I can't remember if it's been covered. Since it's all based on Honda tech, do the cams etc spin opposite to normal L Series, and if so will it cause issues?

Somewhere in my brain it's telling me that Hondas spin different. Sorry for my ignorance, never played with anything but L series 6 cyl motors.

That, and it's 0214 AM here.....

P.S. Loooooovvvvvveeeeeee the Speedhut gauges!

Adam

Hi

I believe the B series spins CCW. The K is clockwise. Where things get confusing is I take the entire K series valve train and rotate it 180 degrees. The cam grinds are all referenced from the front of the cam and what direction they turn. At least according to Crane. And this only applies to asymmetrical grinds. So even though I have things all twisted around the custom cams make it all work.   Whitley Tune may jump in and correct me but this is my understanding of the lobe design.

Derek

So looks like the head is about done....When does the aluminum block project start?

I wish.

I'd love to do that project some day but that may be a few years off if ever. We'll see how well the heads sell.

Re: "Tiny Combustion Chambers"

Remember the volume of the OSG, optimized for 2.8/3.0's was 35cc's. If you work at it, reeeeeally carefully, you can make them 40cc's. That's it.

You can do the math from there what CR is available from what displacement using simple flat-tops.