HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

On the cams note, something I have considered while dreaming up stuff in my head that I have no money for.... How about a modular camshaft like Ford used on the 4.6s?  cut the lobes and bearings out of whatever material you want and use an EDM to slice them like loaves of bread.  Maybe an indexing keyway cut into the cam and lobes to make sure everything lines up right, bingo.

This was discussed as my experience with stationary engines was the same. Chill the core in LN2, heat the lobes in hot oil and have the press ready to push stuff on using long pieces of tubing!

• Like 1

Well just pulled the trigger on these:

20170707035548-72156c39-me.jpg

20170707035551-12f18372-me.jpg

50mm with 88mm horns. Got them from EFIHardware.com. I can't seem to find it listed on their site but I bought them from them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Cylinder-DCOE-Individual-Throttle-Body-ITB-Plus-TPS-and-Fuel-Rail-Kit-50mm-/261574780258?ssPageName=ADME:B:BOC:AU:1123

They look to be really well made for the price. A lot cheaper than the Jenvey's and probably a lot better quality than OBX. They were recommended by 1vicissitude and considering what all you get for the price I really don't think I could do better.

The intake will have injector bungs molded in so the lack of them in the throttle body isn't a problem. I really like that they use sealed bearings as opposed to bushings. They also use 6 degree butterflies which is another plus. I wish they were cast looking as opposed to billet but that's just me. I like castings:)

Derek

Edited by Derek

• 3 weeks later...

I'm refreshing this thread daily. Didn't want to clog up your thread with rubbish bit figured I'd just say there are probably a bunch of people just like me who though will not buy the head think this project is cool! You do amazing work and I feel privileged to be able to watch.

Edited by garvice

Thanks Garvice

Things are at a standstill for a bit as I'm swamped with regular pattern work. It usually slows up a bit this time of year so hopefully I'll be able to get back on it soon.

I did receive the package from EFI Hardware and the stuff looks great. The only complaint I have (and I passed this along to them) is the edges haven't been de-burred. It makes a really well made piece feel kind of cheap. And it is well made. I'll hit it with a de-buring tool and all will be fine.

Got a price for doing the head work. $1250 for seats,guides, deck and surface, multi angle valve job. This includes cutting the valve seat pockets in the raw casing. Another $550.00 to line bore the towers should I choose to go that direction. I have no idea if these are reasonable prices or not. 

Making progress on the modifications I need to make to my new (old) mill in order to do the machine work on the head. 

So things are happening just nothing particularly interesting:)

Derek

I've followed this thread and the throttle body thread a while back. Derek, I'm beyond impressed and think this is absolutely the beginning of a great future for Z cars.

I'm not sure if this free valve technology is available currently but one day they could be just what is needed for a project like yours. It's some pretty cool stuff.

http://www.freevalve.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4p-55a3WV8

Derek and Tony D I have to say thanks guys for your contributions to the Z community. Your knowledge and talent is appreciated.

Off topic but the free-valve thing doesn't seem good for high rpm, but there's also electric options in the works using piezos, their problem is lifespan... but assuming performance is sorted, I see the same problem, lots of electronic parts in a hot engine to break or stick.

I'll take the archaic camshaft for the time being ;)

Any more developments on the camshafts?

Electronic Valve Controller (DEVAS System) has been discussed previously.

Setting that system up is as expensive as buying Cams at the first quoted price, for the controller alone...then you need the hydraulics and solenoids...

For the lazy, I post the link again:

http://www.lola332.com/camless.html

Edited by Tony D

Any more developments on the camshafts?

Nothing right now. Trying to get on the other side of the backlog of work so I can get back on the head. Kind of sucks as I really want to be working on the head and not the current pablum I'm working on now. Not every job I do is exactly awesome if you know what I mean:)

Except that hey are able to operate valves around the size an L motor uses up to 9-10K rpm.

How about we move this to a different thread as it's all I can do to get a conventional cam made let alone solenoid operated valves :)