HybridZ

Roll Call on early LS1 conversions, lets see/share your issues.

PLATA

My Z conversion was done 10 years ago, a solid car that has given the PO/fabricator and me little trouble . Here is my list on things that needed attention in the last 3 yrs/14K miles since under my care , A new A/C compressor, New aluminum radiator, The custom rear diff  mount needed a weld due to metal fatigue and  new hardware ( bolts ) , New brake pads front and back, New exhaust flanges, A set of new tires, A new  temperature sensor, 4 oil and filter changes ( Mobil I synthetic ), New rack and pinion boots .  To my surprise in summer 2013 the clutch seem to have a random slip, but this past summer after a parade fast/hard run at Summit Point cure the random issue. Not bad of a record , she has given me tons of pleasure , I do have some road rash on her but she still shines .  * NEED to edit/correct info , the PO got the car 10 years ago , the conversion was completed and on the road  in 2006 .

Edited by PLATA

Mine was done in 2003 and has about 37K miles on it now. In that time I've:

Replaced both the radiator cooling fan relays - infant mortality

Rerouted a burned through starter wire - moved it further from the header

Replaced the oil pressure sender

Reattached the exhaust on the drivers side at the header due to some loose nuts

Retorqued the bolts holding the R200 to the Mustache bar

Trip to track cost me a left rear brake caliper, e-brake cable and half-shaft universal joint

Multiple oil & filter changes

Two sets of tires

A set of E3 plugs at the 10 year mark

Replaced K&N air filter with a larger one

Coolant leak under the dash yet to be fixed - either the heater control valve or the heater core - I'm voting for the valve.

Did a brake upgrade in 2004

Did an interior and sound system in 2005

Did a suspension upgrade in 2013

So, in 11 years and 37K miles probably $7-800 in actual repairs and then thousands in upgrades.

Edited by Phantom

^^^^ Good to see that your conversion has little issues , these car cars if done properly are almost trouble free. I forgot to add that my Z also needed a new power brake booster and some markers bulbs. Hope that others will chime in and share their Z/ LS1/ HYBRID adventures. post-36683-0-97469200-1411845759_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I can't remember if it has been 2 or 3 years.  I break stuff all the time.  Most aggravating issue has been an intermittent starting issue.  It might start perfectly for a month, then fail to start until the 20-something-th turn of the key.  Then it might be fine for 2-3 months before it won't start again.  All the other problems have been racing maintenance (clutch, tires, brakes, axles, driveshafts, tie rod ends, hubs, bearings, brake fluid, loose suspension and drivetrain bolts).  Engine still has same plugs in it from the junkyard.  I change the oil once a year right before racing season starts.  Still have stock gauges and a few of them work.  Lots of "old car" issues:  diff breaking welds in floorpans, wear and tear on the camber plates from constant adjustments, door misalignment, worn out door hinges, torn sheetmetal where doors bolt to hinges, cracks in A and B pillars, un-staked bearing races in hubs.  If your shit isn't broken at least every other trip to the track, you aren't driving at full potential.  Phantom, loan me your car for 24 hours and you will have more stories to tell-I'm sure I can break it bad enough to keep you tied up with "upgrades" for about 3 months.

Kinda funny:  My household has the following cars:  S10 truck, Honda Odyssey, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Cherokee, Datsun hybrid 240z.  Over the past 2 months, the truck shit two sets of main bearings, the Honda got $800 of body work, the Liberty got $5000 worth of body work and $500 of mechanical work, the Cherokee got $3000 of repair work.   During this period, the Z was driven daily in all types of weather (since the rest of the fleet was in the shop), and it never needed anything but gas and Rainex (wipers don't work).  That's representing.  I did get a little tired of climbing over the door bars.

Edited by RebekahsZ