HybridZ

Timing chain too tight??

2eighTZ4me

I got a thicker MLS head gasket, as my pistons were bopping the bottom of the head once it got warm. Old (MLS) gasket mic'd out at .64mm (uncrushed - after it had been reused a couple of times). The new gasket I got is 1.25mm crushed.

Timing chain was a wee bit tight when I put the chock down in there to pull the head. I played 7 kinds of hell getting the sprocket back up on the cam with this new gasket. The chain is tight - I mean tight....you can barely move it when putting a good deal of pressure on it. I spun the motor over by hand a couple times, and still no slack. Wondering if the tensioner is bottomed out....??

I have a feeling though - once things get up to temp, that the chain will gain a bit more slack. Anyone run into this??

There's a guy who recently snapped the tensioner head right off of the shaft.  It was extended and cocked when he put the chain back.  He had the same problem getting the sprocket back on as you.

Pretty sure that if you get your eye just right or use a mirror that you can see the tensioner, with the valve cover off.  If you see a lot of the shaft you might have a problem.  You might try rotating the engine backward, but it could be too late.

The half mm extra in HG isn't going to matter.

• 1 month later...

There's a guy who recently snapped the tensioner head right off of the shaft.  It was extended and cocked when he put the chain back.  He had the same problem getting the sprocket back on as you.

Pretty sure that if you get your eye just right or use a mirror that you can see the tensioner, with the valve cover off.  If you see a lot of the shaft you might have a problem.  You might try rotating the engine backward, but it could be too late.

The half mm extra in HG isn't going to matter.

Agreed - the description sounds pretty much exactly like what happens when the tensioner comes loose and gets cocked.  What did you use for a chock?  

Well - it's been running fine now for a month. Even did track day at AMP / Z Nationals. Chain is still a little tight, but all is fine. I did poke a mirror and light down the front and the tensioner appears to be seated properly. I'm just gonna roll with it. Next stop is the dyno....