HybridZ

Trying to Decide Which Route to Take on my 260z Rear End

BluSkyLightning

I finally had the time to tear down the rear end, and I found several things that I wasn't expecting. It looks like the car has an open differential (previous owner lied to me, what a shocker!), and it may be on it's last leg. It looks to me like it has a lot of play in it. Everything together makes me consider my options for a new rearend. Should I just re-build this one with an LSD? Should I get a new one? Should I just weld it and call it good?

Oh, and on a side note, the PO had the rear end completely full of fluid, no wonder it leaked like it did, all that thick goopy fluid had nowhere to go when those gears started turning. It also appears that it may have had some water in the oil too, I saw what looked like whater beading up on the gears after I got the cover off.

I believe that the rear end in the car is an r200, if it is I will likely rebuild or weld it. If it is an r180, I may scrap it in favor of a better option. I have a small block v8 swap in the car already, nothing crazy, but looking at around 350hp adn 350ft lbs of torque. I have a video of the rearend I took today, I am uploading it to youtube and will post a link to it soon.

Looks like an open R180.  The wallowed out hole for the spider gear shaft is apparently what happens when you spin one wheel.  Not good.  Check the numbers stamped on the ring gear to see what ratio you have so you'll know what to expect from a replacement.  If you go to an R200 you'll need more parts than just the diff.

And thanks for playing some decent music...

Edited by NewZed

Bummer that the PO lied about the rear end, but not surprising.

Obviously, there's a bunch of great info on here regarding differential options (check out the Stickies in the "Drivetrain" sub-forum under "FAQs") but there were a couple very recent discussions on LSDs which may help you get started and pointed in the right direction.

Good luck and happy motoring.

It's common for people to SWEAR the S30 has an LSD because more often than not the car lays two decent black marks when launchng.

That's not LSD, that's just proper engineering and management of weight transfer!

You see it all the time. When they say "LSD" I ask why they say that, and the above has ALWAYS been the reason.

They're benign idiots for the most part. Annoying, but benign idiots!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's common for people to SWEAR the S30 has an LSD because more often than not the car lays two decent black marks when launchng.

That's not LSD, that's just proper engineering and management of weight transfer!

You see it all the time. When they say "LSD" I ask why they say that, and the above has ALWAYS been the reason.

They're benign idiots for the most part. Annoying, but benign idiots!

Thanks for the heads up, I'm pretty sure that's exactly why he thought that, hell I thought that until I cracked it open. Right now I just wanted to drive it again before winter hit so I put new gear oil in it and re-assembled everything. Good news is that it doesn't leak anymore!