HybridZ

Car dies wont start ! little help here please

hey guys so things have escalated in recent hours. I went from driving to work fine to stuck at a stop sign with a car that wont start. 

These are the simptoms my car is showing or was until today at lunch.

Surging power.. 

a Slight Bogging 

and when I stomp on the gas it would surge hard then (Im not sure whats happening so its hard to describe) a very violent jump. Like the motor dies for a split second and roars back to life all in that one second. Again it's very violent and I thought it was from my alternators positive terminal making contact with my motor mount and grounding out but I fixed that the other day and it's giving me the same problems

Also when the car is driving fine I at time will come to a stop sign and the car will just die.. with the car in neutral ! 

Please Please any help would be nice... 

I would start at the fuel filter.

Alright so it's not the fuel filter. I've now traced my problem to some type of wire issue. As I have a hard time believing the filter would just clog itself enough to stop the car from running and theres solid pressure coming out of the fuel rails. 

^agree

Yesterday I was spinning my wheels trying to figure out what was wrong and I started to trace my wiring harness from the PCM inside the car outward. What really really sucks is this fixed my problem car starts right up now and drives fine but when I put the pedal to the medal it takes off and then jumps at high RPMs. I think it may be a grounding issue.. Sound about right boys ?

Metal.

I would make one of those spinning wheels, like on Wheel of Fortune or The Price is Right, and fill the slots with random things like fuel pump , fuel filter, PCM, grounds, carpet stuck under the gas pedal, etc.  Spin and go.  Spin, spin, spin...

I asked before, do you have HP Tuners or the ability to pull codes?  Did you wire up an OBD-II port ?

Right now you are simply guessing whereas the PCM, if you have an OBD-II port, may be able to shed some light on the issue.  If you are not throwing codes, then you could at least narrow it down to those items that would throw a code.

Saying that, I had a similar issue that did turn out to be the battery cable on the alternator would touch the mount under acceleration.  However, that was easy to figure out because the car would lose ALL power, including electrical (radio would cut out).  If the car just dies but you still have electrical power, then the radio should stay on.

Do a quick test next time.  Turn your radio on and see if you lose all electrical power when the car dies.  While you may have sorted the alternator grounding issue, you could still have a grounding issue somewhere.  Also, are you using the rubber plug that covers the alternator lug?  You could be ground arcing or you may have rubbed through it.

Finally, there are other forums that have more information about LS's than Hybridz.  Have you checked out LS1tech.com for instance?

I asked before, do you have HP Tuners or the ability to pull codes?  Did you wire up an OBD-II port ?

Right now you are simply guessing whereas the PCM, if you have an OBD-II port, may be able to shed some light on the issue.  If you are not throwing codes, then you could at least narrow it down to those items that would throw a code.

Saying that, I had a similar issue that did turn out to be the battery cable on the alternator would touch the mount under acceleration.  However, that was easy to figure out because the car would lose ALL power, including electrical (radio would cut out).  If the car just dies but you still have electrical power, then the radio should stay on.

Do a quick test next time.  Turn your radio on and see if you lose all electrical power when the car dies.  While you may have sorted the alternator grounding issue, you could still have a grounding issue somewhere.  Also, are you using the rubber plug that covers the alternator lug?  You could be ground arcing or you may have rubbed through it.

Finally, there are other forums that have more information about LS's than Hybridz.  Have you checked out LS1tech.com for instance?

I suppose we both have the Johns Cars swap kit. That is the only problem I had with the kit. The alternator positive terminal we arching to the driver side motor mount. I fixed the issue with a grinder last weekend and it's no longer making contact. I'm going to be checking spark plug wires , and vacuum leaks tonight. If I get home at a decent hour I'll track all my grounds and power wires to see if theres any place it could be making contact.