HybridZ

Vq35de 240z

Kevlars30z

How is it going guys?

So about a year ago I picked up this low mile VQ35de for cheap. Complete motor, transmission, Ecu, BCM, Nats...etc. Well story short, within a month (maybe a week or 2 more) my father and I had it running. We didn't flash the ECU to get rid of the NATs, had to cut a inch or so off the crossmember, I'm running the stock rear end, custom driveshaft, custom trans and motor mounts, and stock brakes all around (with hawk pads in the front).Im not going to go far into depth about the swap but if anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer them. I'll try and upload current photos of the swap later tonight. post-6055-0-59393700-1412209070_thumb.jpgpost-6055-0-38538200-1412209097_thumb.jpg Goodbye little buddy, you did me well  :( post-6055-0-58665300-1412209137_thumb.jpgpost-6055-0-68594900-1412209192_thumb.jpgpost-6055-0-57362100-1412209233_thumb.jpgpost-6055-0-11687700-1412209265_thumb.jpg Removing some unwanted spaghetti, we didn't shorten the wiring or clean it up that well since that will be done when the car is painted (within a year... hopefully). post-6055-0-96299400-1412209331_thumb.jpgpost-6055-0-01038200-1412209439_thumb.jpg I'll try and upload some current engine bay pictures later tonight.  

Here are current pictures of my car in this years JCCS. Photos were taken by a fellow hybridz member: Borini63

DSC00962.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

Edited by RB26280z

We'll done, do you have pictures of the motor mounts? Trans mount? Cross member?

Sadly the only pictures I took of any mount was the motor to bushing mount. I failed on that part. The first motor mounts snapped from bushing to frame, I guess thick metal wasn't thick enough. Went back and we designed stronger ones, they've been holding up very well.

As for the trans mount, we modified the 350z trans mount.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind me asking, did you have to modify the firewall at all? Does the shifter end up in close to the original spot?

Reason I ask, I have seen one up close that the owner cut the firewall to clear the throttle body, and the shifter was way too far back in my opinion, my question to him was why not move the engine a bit further forward? There is plenty of room in the engine bay, unless I am not seeing something.

Plus, overall how happy are you with the swap? Reliability?

What sort of fuel tank modifications? Original or fuel cell?

If you don't mind me asking, did you have to modify the firewall at all? Does the shifter end up in close to the original spot?

Reason I ask, I have seen one up close that the owner cut the firewall to clear the throttle body, and the shifter was way too far back in my opinion, my question to him was why not move the engine a bit further forward? There is plenty of room in the engine bay, unless I am not seeing something.

Plus, overall how happy are you with the swap? Reliability?

What sort of fuel tank modifications? Original or fuel cell?

Nope, I didn't cut into the firewall. The only cutting I had to do there was cutting off the original hood latch. The engine bay does have space but you can't quite move the engine forward because it'll hit with the crossmember. In that location, I had to cut about 1/2 an inch off the crossmember. I guess you can move it forward but it will require a whole new custom crossmember and steering rack set up.

As for the shifter, there is a shifter relocation kit that is sold, all it does is shortens the original shifter location. I didn't buy that but just modified the original shifter mount. Yea the shifter sits back father than the original but it doesn't bother me. I actually like the location of the shifter, I don't have to reach out so far.

For now I'm running the original fuel cell with a bigger return line, but I really do need a fuel cell. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with the swap, yea its not Rb or 1j/2j set up but its an awesome motor that does the job of moving the car quite quick. 

Hey, thanks for the info. I really was thinking Sr setup but the sound of these vq engines is just sweet. I don't plan on racing, just spirited driving. Your car looks great, if you have anymore build pictures please post them, I would love to see the cross member and shifter setup.

• 1 year later...