HybridZ

7mgte R154 Mount Kit Interest?

seattlejester

Howdy folks,

Well I was wondering if there was any interest for a swap kit for the 7mgte motor combined with the R154 transmission. The newer version of my trans mount ended up being able to reach the stock datsun mount for the 70-72 style mounts.

Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to take the mount off at some point and make a jig so I can replicate all 3 if needed. Already have pretty close to finished products for engine mount, would have to make the trans mount to have the last one.

Specs of the kit:

3 pieces, 2 engine mounts, 1 transmission mount

Trans mount bolts in to 70-72 chassis with the bolt up style transmission mount (trans mount not compatible with bolt through style)

Engine mounts fit the factory crossmember and rubber insulator so compatible with 70-78

Fully reversible

Swap spec:

7mgte engine and R154 transmission

Found in MkIII supra's

7mgte engines were assembled with weak head gaskets prone to failure, which as a side effect means many engines are low mile or have had head gaskets replaced with metal head gaskets and ARP studs

Relatively cheap to acquire

Engine: 3.0 liter displacement, dual overhead cam, factory turbocharged, crossflow head design

Transmission: Very beefy transmission, combined with our light chassis, not much work needs to be done, if desired can have transmission rebuilt and upgraded by Marlin Crawler to handle much more abuse

Parts are easily available and fairly cheap as the 7mgte was a domestically available motor.

Parts needed for the swap:

Mounting kit (engine mounts, trans mount)

Custom drive shaft (R154

Oil filter relocation kit (mounts pass right through where factory filter would sit)

Rear heater out delete I believe an M22 plug, easily acquired from O'reileys as a transmission plug (engine sits right up against the fire wall, coolant for heater could be acquired elsewhere if desired)

Custom exhaust and downpipe

Lengthening of shifter hole forward or a shifter relocation service available on ebay

Honestly just curious.

Edited by seattlejester