HybridZ

hatch back latch stuck

I am fat. Really fat. If I can do this, so can you...

Recline your drivers seat so you can slide back between the shock towers. Remove the interior finisher cover from your hatch...

Stick your finger up inside and you can feel the latch mechanism in there. Push it down and the hatch opens.

This works locked or unlocked--all the locked position does is move the striker 90 degrees so it doesn't push down on the latch. This is the way I've had to open my hatch since glassing-over the hole for the button when I installed my whale tail. No time for a solenoid install is my excuse...

You can fit a large screwdriver in there if you need to, in order to pop the hatch. New spongy-springy hatch seal making it hard to pop open?

The way I did it, slip a 10mm wrench(I used a gear wrench) inbetween the hatch and body and undo the bolts that hold the latch mechanism to the hatch. Then you can open the hatch and figure out why the latch stuck, for me it was rust and and a broken spring, which I fixed. You need to the to go back and forth between the two bolts so you can lift up the latch as they come out, otherwise they'll run into the body. This is of course all assuming you have an S30.

Edited by 2sixTZombii