HybridZ

Tell which trans I have?

AdamP

My clutch is going out and i am looking to replace it soon, i was wondering how to tell which transmission i have? its a 71 240z but has a l28 with 5 speed. Is there any marking on the trans i can see without pulling it?

I believe the early 5 speeds had two rear mounting ears and the later, close ratio transmissions had one ear.

With the caveat that the above only pertains to transmissions originally from a Z/ZX. You can easily have a one-ear tranny with wide ratios, e.g. if it came from a truck, 200SX, etc.

With that said, the question here is why do you need to know which transmission you have in order to replace your clutch? As long as it's a B-type trans, which I assume is what you have, any clutch will fit. The only variable here is the throwout bearing collar height. This is all in the archives.

Here's a useful link regarding early Nissan transmissions: http://www.gracieland.org/cars/techtalk/gearing2.html

• 3 weeks later...

The other thing is which flywheel you have. There were two different diameters of the 71b/c transmissions. 225mm or 240mm. The 225mm pressure plates have 6 bolts and the 240mm have 9 bolts holding them to the flywheel. Either flywheel will work on any setup. I have a 225mm flywheel on a 280zx 5spd, which came with either the 225mm or the 240mm depending on options (2+2, etc). Just pop the starter off and count the bolts.