HybridZ

Rear brakes work with e-brake applied, but not when brake pedal is applied on 83zx?

Hey yall, I assumed all 4 brakes worked properly, before I removed them for new suspension?  But, I bled my brakes the other day and the fronts had some air, that dissipated quickly and began to work again, very well actually!  The rears, however, grab the rotors as long as the e-brake is on, but when we tried to bleed them, the passengers' side never had fluid or air coming out....?  The drivers' side had a little air, then only fluid, but still never grabbed the rotor, when the pedal was pressed...?  I went ahead and ordered rebuild kits, but if yall don't think that'll fix it, I'll just buy 2 new rotors?  Or could the master cylinder be shot on the rear side, if that's even possible?  Thanks for any help! 

Edited by Mirage775

Watch the fluid level in the reservoirs to see if any leaves when someone pushes the pedal, and returns when the pedal is released.  That will give you a clue about what's happening in the master cylinder.  Your parking brake is mechanical, independent of the hydraulic system.

OK, thanks!  Yeah, I knew the e-brake was mechanical, but doesn't it put the piston and clamp the rotor?  The Z's backfiring and half-ass running, gonna take her to a real mechanic tomorrow, my shade-tree-ness ain't cuttin it, lol!  As soon as I get her back, I'll try that with the reservoirs!  The whole system was empty, as I put on new stainless brakes lines too.  The old ones had fluid coming out...  The rear calipers were also full of fluid, when I removed them.  I'm sure it's something simple, I just wanna drive it, I'm tired of working on it...