HybridZ

76 280Z Differential Strap

AZGhost623

Since I have my diff out to swap, I was looking at that strap and seems pretty worn out. Figured I would replace it.

The ZStore sells two different kinds for some reason. Can anyone recommend one over the other, or maybe someone else thats been tried and true? Blackdragon auto doesnt seem to carry it and ZCarSource has it as unknown availability.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic22d03/10-2290A

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic22d03/10-2290B

Looks like one's a dog collar and the other a timing belt.

Pretty sure that I've read of people using a common nylon cargo hold-down strap.  Get the kind with the ratcheting mechanism and you could have a nice tight strap, maybe even avoid the clunking problem.

The RT mount isn't just for v8 applications.  It can be used as a replacement for the factory strap.  Read here and note the urethane "stop".

http://www.technoversions.com/DiffMountHome.html

And here's someone commenting on it being better than the factory strap:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-s30/35995-ron-tyler-differential-mount.html#post434690

• 2 weeks later...

I got the new 3.9 LSD diff installed yesterday with the RT mount and did some spirited driving tonight, definitely love the new setup!

However, I noticed, when I turn right, on the driver side, I hear some knocking/clunking, kinda hard to explain.... I did notice when I installed the RT mount kit, that I had just few free centimeters from the bottom of the front diff bolts to the crossmember.(Ill have to take a picture to show you what im talking about). I am wondering if it might be twisting a little and knocking against the crossmember... Its fine when I turn left, and in a straight line. Going to pull the drivers side wheel, make sure everything is tight, and inspect that crossmember. 

Maybe I installed the bolts wrong now that I think of it. The bolts I installed top down, instead of bottom up. Make sense?? That might make more room, but then the whole mount has to come out again...

EDIT ****

Didnt have to remove anything, going to leave it as it is. Doesnt look like any contact with the bolts and the crossmember have been made.

Further checking everything out and everything looks good... My only guess now is that the u-joint is acting up and maybe going to fail on the drivers side rear.

Edited by AZGhost623

• 3 weeks later...

When I did my rb26dett swap i noticed while driving that i had the notorious diff clunk, so I decided to upgrade. I put in a 3.9 clsd, wolf creek racing cv's, rt front diff mount, t3 mustasche bar, and all new poly. My car has a clunking on the driverside as well. Its low speed driving and not on/off throttle. I have taken apart the full set up several times but it still clunks. I am now thinking its the clsd low speed clunking. Don't give up but you might never find the culprit. Gotta love the old cars!

Yep I have the same sounds... I talked to a few people around town and they seem to have it to.  They dont have the wolf creek CV's... They thought that might solve it, they thing its just the old ujoints with the new geometry going slow around a turn.... seems like 10mph or less is when it happens. 15mph and above doesnt seem to have that effect.