HybridZ

Tony's 7M-GTE car reboot

Tony240ZT

Over 10 years ago I finished up my 7m-gte swap (and hybridz is still here!):

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/37143-tonys-toyota-7m-gte-in-his-72-240z-hybrid-turbo/?do=findComment&comment=296543

I only got a few hundred miles out of it before blowing the head gasket and scaring one of the cylinders. My intentions were to get it rebuilt right away, but life got in the way. I now have a fully built long block to swap in, so I'll try and keep you updated. Or find me on Instagram @turbo240z

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

Edited by Tony240ZT

• 3 months later...

I had my gas tank cleaned (this is the second time since I've owned the car), this time just enough to get the gas fumes out so that I could open it up to install some more baffling and install an in tank pump. Upon closer inspection of its condition it's obvious the tank will not be usable. Either from rust attacking it, or from the acid baths it has a ton of tiny divots and channels etched into the metal. The exterior looks great, so that was a surprise.

I've purchased a TIG welder from Eastwood. I got the 200amp AC/DC unit, so my first large welding project will be building an aluminum gas tank that will fit in the stock location so that I don't have to cut out the wheel well.

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

• 2 months later...

I didn't give up on the old tank. Turns out a lot of that orange was some form of dried up fuel sludge. I knocked out most of it with a wire wheel, then sand blasted the parts I couldn't reach. Built in a coffee can looking cylinder for the baffle, and replaced the fuel lines with 3/8". Used the TIG welder to mend it back together. I think it'll work. I have it dropped off over at the radiator shop again to have them coat the inside and do a leak test on it.

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

Next is to run the new fuel line under the car.

IMG_1752.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see your 7M Z is still alive! Makes me want to get back to work on my car and get her going soon. Been off the road almost 3 years now... Any recent videos of it running before taking it apart?

What's left to get your car going again? Back when the car was running I didn't have access to a video camera. Now any phone has that capability, thinking about it that way sure does make it sound like it was a LONG time ago.

IMG_1878.JPG

Tank is back from the radiator shop after $150. Coated on the inside and repainted. It's ready to go in. Still need to run those lines under the car.

Edited by Tony240ZT

Ahh quite a bit to get it to the point I want haha. Right now it runs and drives but strongly needs a tune. Also needs a new fuel reg, fuel cell (small return on the stock tank is giving me a high line pressure from restriction), needs exhaust work, needs some spark plug wires, gotta install the suspension and bushing kit I have, need to do some welds on the chassis. Should really re-wire the engine bay to clean it up as well, then maybe i can call it done for now!! 

Also plan to put a 280YZ wide body kit on when im done school, i hope haha.

Whats your rough eta to get yours back on the road?

I'll have the new engine swapped in before summer and shortly after that it should start. Most everything is still in place since it last ran, crossing my fingers that the electronics are good. I just went through the brakes. I'll try out this ACT clutch I got with the engine, and hopefully this transmission the guy says he rebuilt is in good shape. I was having a bit of an issue with ignition before. I think my cam position sensor signal was weak, or one of my junk yard igniters are bad, so there may some bugs to sort out.

Overall the goal is to be on the road before the end of the year. I had issues with traction, so before I put a set of new rubber on the car I'd like to get some flares and wider tires. My suspension should still be in good shape since all of the bushings are urethane. My next large task after running the new fuel lines will probably be fitting the car with a new radiator and oil cooler. Along with fabricating a shroud. I see you can just buy them, but it's hard not to save a few bucks and do it myself now that I have the welder. 

Before when the car was running I drilled and tapped the drain plug on the gas tank, ran a 90 degree elbow off of it to the pump over 3/8" line to the engine, then the return line went into the original feed line and plugged the old return line. That seemed to work fine for my setup, maybe that could work for you?

Sounds like it should be a quick turn around! That'll be nice to have it back on the road. What tires where you running before when you had traction issues? Im looking into getting some 225 Toyo R888 over the summer, hopefully it will be enough for now, before I put the wide body on anyways haha. 

I've often thought of doing a shroud, ill be looking forward to seeing the pictures of your shroud!

Hmm that is a pretty dam good idea, never even remotely thought of that. That could work out perfect actually, i'll have to drain the tank and give it a try!

Sounds like you guys are rolling!

I have kumho 225's and I could get them loose into 4th in the rain, I haven't tried to break them too loose in the dry, but some serious traction issues present even at stock levels. Now I have the boost controller installed so whole new story there. 

7m brothers unite :).

• 3 weeks later...

Really eh?!? I just picked up some new Rays rims and Toyo r1r, only 195/50/15 but suuper soft and sticky. We'll see how much traction i can get before upgrading to some 215's. Can't wait to finally get to drive it!!

Haha 7M bro's!

Tony, what are you running for the rear end? Any problems? I'm constantly worried I'll rip apart one of my stub axles one of these days.

I have 280ZX turbo CV half shafts with adapters from Modern Motorsports coming out of the R200. Swapped over to some disc brakes at the same time and no more old rubber bushings anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened over the weekend. Getting the old one out of the way so that I can clean up the engine bay and run the fuel lines in the trans tunnel. My 2 1/2 year old stood by to watch. I have the diff out as well at the moment so I can run the fuel line over the top.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg