HybridZ

help needed with slave cylinder and muncie 4 speed

OK so a week or so ago i did a v8 swap on a 72 240z, the motor is a small block chevy...350...and a muncie 4 speed with an external clutch arm. So I fabricated a bracket to make the stock 240z slave cylinder push the mechanical clutch arm and it works.....almost.... it does not push it far enough...I have bled it out and adjusted it as much as can be done and it still wont push the lever far enough.

is there any difference in push distance from the 240z master and slave cylinders compared to american ones like chevy? any ideas? what have others done? would rather not pull the tranny out to put an internal clutch lever in but meeh idk...anyway

Thanks for the help

FWI  -- Scarab Z cars used the slave cylinder from a 1975 Datsun B210 4 speed. It has the bleeder and hydraulic line port on the proper position. If you use the stock 240Z slave cylinder on a Chevy bellhousing, you have "flipped it" over. Try the Datsun B210 slave and you should solve your issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new here but not new to z cars. I'm planning on doing a scarab style setup in one of my z cars and want to do the Muncie swap.I've got the line on the 75 b210 slave cylinder but the scarab bell housing would be the best thing.,.

What would be the next best thing if a scarab bell housing isn't obtainable?

Anything would help, thanks.

Hi, I'm new here but not new to z cars. I'm planning on doing a scarab style setup in one of my z cars and want to do the Muncie swap.I've got the line on the 75 b210 slave cylinder but the scarab bell housing would be the best thing.,.

What would be the next best thing if a scarab bell housing isn't obtainable?

Anything would help, thanks.

I used a 1984 thru 1996 (C4) and later Corvette bell housing because I think it has a much better hydraulic slave cylinder setup than the Camaro offers. The clutch is operated by a 7/8” bore Wilwood (Tilton) master cylinder through a braided stainless steel line to the stock Corvette slave cylinder.  Works great and feels like the factory designed it as the clutch takeup is very progessive and smooth.  :)

BTW, I hope you used the Jags That Run (JTR) conversion for your SBC install.  If you don't have the manual I would recommend you get one.  

Ferrari_32

RS Engine

Edited by SpeedRacer

I tried a Novak hydraulic push rod conversion.  With the V8 and Nitrous, the rod bound with torque and blew the motor.  I bought a Tilton engineering internal throwout bearing set up for my Richmond Super T10.  It leaked so I had the factory rebuilt it.  I bought another one from McCleod because I could not wait.  Its for sale for $150 with the spacers needed for clearance.   If I am not mistaken, the Super T10 uses the same Tilton part number as the Muncie.

Edited by Bowtiez